There are newer employer reviews for Active Network

A great company to work for...but a company that needs a lot of work.

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

The corporate culture is young, motivated, and active...hence the name. You are surrounded by people who lead an active lifestyle, which in turn keeps you motivated to be active as well. Show me a person who has worked at Active for over 6 months, and I'll show you a person who's training for some type of race. Three days a week, there's a boot-camp-type workout that's available to us - and a good 50 or so people take advantage of it. I would say it's the number one reason employees stay with the company. People call Active a cult, because we all hang out together, work out together, and are constantly talking about our company. Call it a cult, but I call it a lifestyle.

Cons

The company grew really fast, and they promoted people who weren't necessarily right for management. As we all know, a good sales rep does not always equal a good manager. It is a chaotic environment and communication is lacking at best. Training is non-existent and it's really an environment of fight or flight. Employees are not given to tools to succeed - they have to find them on their own. Also, there are several markets within the company that have been developed without the proper market and competitor analysis. Quotas are thrown at sales reps who are not trained or prepared to be successful. They have to research the market on their own - which would be fine if quotas weren't doled out so lackadaisically, and base salaries weren't set so low. There is a lack of structure, which is great for some, but detrimental to others. Active can feel like a revolving door - it's a high turnover company, and everyone is alright with that.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Often times, employee ideas are ignored. Other times, they are acknowledged, but no one follows through with them. On several occasions, I have seen questioning management lead to reprimand, instead of compromise. Employees should feel free to question quotas, market analysis, and other areas that affect their day-to-day work, without feeling that it will threaten their employment status. It can feel as if management sometimes ignores the elephant in the room; problems need to be addressed and resolved. The most important piece of feedback I could give Senior Management is that it is imperative to implement a training program. I have seen so many people come on to a sales team, and flounder, because there is no structured training program. I consistently hear people complain that they are not thoroughly trained, do not fully understand the products they are selling, and wish they had more resources. Fixing this problem would make a world of difference. The other piece of feedback that I think is pertinent is to research markets and fully prepare a manager, before hiring a gaggle of green sales reps to fend for themselves. It seems that there are several departments where the manager knows not much more, and sometimes even LESS than the actual sales reps who are calling into a territory. Sales reps need managers they can go to for help, managers they can look up to, and managers who they WANT to work for. If a rep cares about a manager's success, they in turn will be successful.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Chaotic

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

Money, enviroment , flex work time

Cons

Too much work, incompetence of management

Advice to Management

None

2. Not a bad place. Still not sure where they are headed, though.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at Active Network

Pros

Active Networks has a wide range of registration products to work with. It combines business and technology. There are young people, and its a good stepping stone early on in your career.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. Hard to get things pushed through. Active does race and sporting management, but are trying to get into the events field now. How will that go? We will see. They acquired a few registration companies that work in events, and are working on integrating them. Are they going to go public? not sure yet. Not sure Active understands how complex events are, compared to what they have been doing in the past.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for hiring. Hiring a new employee is a 3 month process from when the employee interviews. Not cool.