There are newer employer reviews for Activision Publishing

Worked at Activision too long

Former Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing

Pros

There are GREAT people at Activision.
The end of year bonus can be nice.
There are occasional perks and sometimes they are good.

Cons

Very long hours, Activision will work you like crazy. This is mainly due to the fact they are understaffed.

Upper management is very poor at making decisions. A lot of things are done last minute and the decision makes itself (usually at a cost of quality of life or the game). There is also a lot of committee decision making.

reviews filtered by

Successful at serial products, in danger of talent drain

Current Employee - Associate Producer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Producer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing

Pros

Pros:
    - #1 publisher, recognizable on the resume
    - Enormous resources (if your project is deemed worthy)
    - Motivation comes from working with dedicated people (in production, not sure of other depts)

Cons

Cons:
    - milking the margins comes first. So, if you love games, be prepared to leave that love at the door
    - the project you're on matters a lot more than it should, even if you're doing as much or less than someone on a less prominent title. recognition and reward follows the revenue-generators only.
    - all other departments will get recognition before production (if production even gets recognized). it shows in the bonus/incentive structure. it shows in the promotion rate. it shows in all the company events that the executives speak in.
    - it always felt like the execs just want to be in hollywood. they make frequent, huge expenditures to play with hollywood instead of investing it back into the company (new IPs?) or its employees.

you need to retain top talent through any 2 of the 3 (at least): compensation, growth opportunity, and security.

Ambitious and rushed don't make the best game possible.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing

Pros

Working at Activision is great because we're the top publishing company of the game industry. The workplace is great, and the development team I'm in is very united. It's fun to make video games. The support and work perks are pretty good.

Cons

Its a little frustrating the poor work and life balance. I love making video games. I take pride in my work. I want to deliver a really good fun quality polished game, but certain conditions don't allow this. Rushing and crunching are bad. My heath suffers from it. Which makes me feel under-appreciated and disposable.

If you want 100% you must give 700% back. 200% salary, 200% vacation, and 3 years development cycles. That would make me really happy.

There are newer employer reviews for Activision Publishing