Activision Publishing

www.activision.com
  www.activision.com
There are newer employer reviews for Activision Publishing

Ambitious and rushed don't make the best game possible.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing

Pros

Working at Activision is great because we're the top publishing company of the game industry. The workplace is great, and the development team I'm in is very united. It's fun to make video games. The support and work perks are pretty good.

Cons

Its a little frustrating the poor work and life balance. I love making video games. I take pride in my work. I want to deliver a really good fun quality polished game, but certain conditions don't allow this. Rushing and crunching are bad. My heath suffers from it. Which makes me feel under-appreciated and disposable.

If you want 100% you must give 700% back. 200% salary, 200% vacation, and 3 years development cycles. That would make me really happy.

77 Other Employee Reviews for Activision Publishing (View Most Recent)

Mediocre

Former Employee - Game Tester in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Game Tester in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing

Pros

They provided free food for the days in which we had 12 hours of testing

Cons

Terrible hours
    Not a stimulating working environment

Great place to get initial experience in gaming / entertainment; not great for long term advancement

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing

Pros

The people really make Activision. Everyone here at the mid-senior to senior management level and below is super smart, driven and quick. Given that launching a game title can mean a lot of long hours and a chase to meet deadlines, it's great working with people who are responsible, take ownership and work hard.

Cons

The annual review process and the promotion process are pretty unclear. While we do have annual reviews, oftentimes, the goals on which we are reviewed are not set until much later in the year and even then are vague enough that they don't necessarily mean a lot. It is also hard to get a sense of where you stand against your peers as it is not a very transparent organization in terms of what is expected of you. Even though goals are set, promotion is really difficult and it's often hard to understand why certain people are promoted versus others.

I wish leadership would get to know those managing the franchises on a day to day basis. Those of us who have our ears closer to the ground and do most of the work are not often welcome in some of the strategic meetings for which we actually put the materials together. I'm not sure why this is, given that many of those who are so called "junior" professionals actually have significant industry and work experience prior to coming to Activision to begin with. In general, a more open culture would go a long way. I would also recommend that management significantly adjust the compensation structure. In the past, the company has been able to attract high quality talent at below average compensation because the products are interesting. That said, the organization has changed a lot in the last couple of years and focused much less on innovation which is stifling to people and I think will be at the detriment to the company's ability to maintain the talent pool. While I really like the work here and find it interesting, the compensation is not necessarily commensurate with expectations, level of work and level of talent that the company often tries to recruit.

There are newer employer reviews for Activision Publishing