Activision Publishing
www.activision.com Santa Monica, CA 5000+ Employees

Successful at serial products, in danger of talent drain

Associate Producer (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing

ProsPros:
- #1 publisher, recognizable on the resume
- Enormous resources (if your project is deemed worthy)
- Motivation comes from working with dedicated people (in production, not sure of other depts)

ConsCons:
- milking the margins comes first. So, if you love games, be prepared to leave that love at the door
- the project you're on matters a lot more than it should, even if you're doing as much or less than someone on a less prominent title. recognition and reward follows the revenue-generators only.
- all other departments will get recognition before production (if production even gets recognized). it shows in the bonus/incentive structure. it shows in the promotion rate. it shows in all the company events that the executives speak in.
- it always felt like the execs just want to be in hollywood. they make frequent, huge expenditures to play with hollywood instead of investing it back into the company (new IPs?) or its employees.

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to retain top talent through any 2 of the 3 (at least): compensation, growth opportunity, and security.

Ambitious and rushed don't make the best game possible.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Activision Publishing

Pros: Working at Activision is great because we're the top publishing company of the game industry. The workplace is great, and the… Cons: Its a little frustrating the poor work and life balance. I love making video games. I take pride in my work. I want to… Advice to Senior Management: If you want 100% you must give 700% back. 200% salary, 200%… More

Mediocre

Game Tester (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Activision Publishing

Pros: They provided free food for the days in which we… Cons: Terrible hours Not a stimulating working environment More

There are newer reviews on Activision Publishing.

Worked for Activision Publishing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Activision Publishing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Activision Publishing employees.