Actuate
www.actuate.com San Mateo, CA 500 to 999 Employees

How They're Surviving

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Actuate

ProsThe company still has that spark of an enterprise software company from the late 90's. Creative, independent with a eye to the future. CEO is well grounded and accessible if you pretend you're from New Jersey / NY. Got to be ready to be part of the "boys club" if you want to move up. Sales culture is typical of companies like this. Miss your number for a couple of quarters and you better be looking for a new job. Development is pretty closed off from the rest of the company (good/bad?). Marketing is actually a high point for them.

ConsI worked from home. The company didn't embrace the remote worker idea to much. Hurt me in the end. I found the product space a little boring, with few exciting ideas coming from development. They were swimming through the current recession by going back to existing customers and "making them honest" on their software license/contract terms. This actually was the only revenue driver for the last 12 months and the company would be toast today if it weren't for the 15 years of license violations that they're now policing. It's almost like banked money they're now collecting. Customers are happy to get 50 cents on the dollar for their purchase back in 2004. It's a win-win, but with a mafia/IRS kind of twist...come clean and pay up, or we'll yank your license.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a buyer and get out of the market while you can. Oracle and SAP will crush you in 2 years. Otherwise, get lean and continue down the open source route. Prepare employees for the inevitable downsizing and cut them some options.

A very good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Actuate full-time

Pros: 1. flexible work time 2. nice person to work with Cons: 1. not technology oriented 2. the company officer likes sales more… More

Great place to work

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Actuate full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great vision and leadership; it's a challenging and rewarding environment. Cons: None personally, my overall experience working with Actuate is positive. Advice to Senior Management: n/a Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Actuate.

Worked for Actuate? Contribute to the Community!

Actuate – Why Work for Us?

Actuate Corporation, The BIRT Company™, provides software to more than three million BIRT developers and OEMs who build scalable, secure solutions that save time and improve brand experience by delivering personalized… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Actuate reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Actuate CEO Pete Cittadini. All reviews posted anonymously by Actuate employees.