There are newer employer reviews for Actuate

Good product for 1990s , need to overhaul strategies and innovations

I worked at Actuate

Pros

Company has good array products and kind of stable from customer point of view .

Cons

No innovations
Mediocre salaries
Lacks focus on product development
No information sharing at all

Be open , bring good people with good money as well retain good talent.Allow them to bring new ideas to table.
Please share more information with employees.
Open BIRT tutorial series to everyone.

reviews filtered by

How They're Surviving

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Actuate

Pros

The company still has that spark of an enterprise software company from the late 90's. Creative, independent with a eye to the future. CEO is well grounded and accessible if you pretend you're from New Jersey / NY. Got to be ready to be part of the "boys club" if you want to move up. Sales culture is typical of companies like this. Miss your number for a couple of quarters and you better be looking for a new job. Development is pretty closed off from the rest of the company (good/bad?). Marketing is actually a high point for them.

Cons

I worked from home. The company didn't embrace the remote worker idea to much. Hurt me in the end. I found the product space a little boring, with few exciting ideas coming from development. They were swimming through the current recession by going back to existing customers and "making them honest" on their software license/contract terms. This actually was the only revenue driver for the last 12 months and the company would be toast today if it weren't for the 15 years of license violations that they're now policing. It's almost like banked money they're now collecting. Customers are happy to get 50 cents on the dollar for their purchase back in 2004. It's a win-win, but with a mafia/IRS kind of twist...come clean and pay up, or we'll yank your license.

Find a buyer and get out of the market while you can. Oracle and SAP will crush you in 2 years. Otherwise, get lean and continue down the open source route. Prepare employees for the inevitable downsizing and cut them some options.

2. Great place

I worked at Actuate

Pros

Great bunch of smart people...Excellent culture...Fun place to work.

Cons

Revenue has been flat....High sales turnover....Difficulty recruiting sales talent

There are newer employer reviews for Actuate