There are newer employer reviews for Acumen

Bad experience, no management for where I was

I worked at Acumen full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a job when I needed one. There wasn't pressure to be productive when I didn't have anything to work on, which was pretty much always.

Cons

Nothing to do. I literally did more in 1 month of a proper job than I did in 8 months here. I never had any clear goals or any proper objective, or properly defined role in the workflow. It seemed as though I was hired with some obscure end goal in mind with the thinking that I would be able to execute this alone. This goal was never really communicated to me and I was never given tools to implement anything. So, I wound up not doing anything. Most productivity I did was due to crushing boredom. I wound up coming in late, and leaving early. No one cared, because it didn't make any difference.

This may be due to the fact that I was in an odd position separated from the rest of the company, so I don't pretend that I can represent the whole, but if you're interviewing, and you have a choice of what job to take, aggressively ask them questions about their plans for you.

Also, upon leaving, the HR screwed me by, oddly enough, not cancelling my health coverage, leading to a nightmare trying to get a certificate of creditable coverage to wipe the pre-existing condition clause from my subsequent coverage. I would think that a company dealing with healthcare information would be more responsible with the healthcare information of their own workforce.

If their revenue stream comes from government contracts (I never knew enough to determine either way, but from what I observed that would be the tentative conclusion I would draw) then my employment there and the money given to me was a complete waste of taxpayer money. I was not a contributor to any work done because I did not have the opportunity to contribute.

Have tasks. People want to work, so make sure you actually have something for them to do. Have a plan when you hire someone rather than hiring them and hoping that things will build up around them magically when they don't have the ability to do anything to set things up. Communicate between departments to lay out plans and execute them. Have plans that go farther than 3 days in the future.

41 Other Employee Reviews for Acumen (View Most Recent)

Fun and easy but with low salary

I worked at Acumen as an intern

Pros

People are so nice and ready to help. Barely any pressure

Cons

low salary; too relaxing for aggressive freshly graduate

bad experience, bad salary but flexible work time

Former Employee - Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer  in  Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Quantitative Research Analyst-Statistical Programmer in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Acumen full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice people, flexible work time

Cons

bad salary, bad promotion, worst experience

nice people, but should improve.

There are newer employer reviews for Acumen

Worked for Acumen? Contribute to the Community!