Great place to start/learn, communication could improve

I have been working at Acumen full-time

Pros

- Great place to start as a post-graduate as the company is owned by a Stanford professor
- has collegiate feeling, consisting mostly of low to mid 20's
- flexible work hours

Cons

- very little work/life balance
- most managers do not have management skills - they were promoted because of seniority (definitely not all but applies to most)
- poor communication from management which causes us to do something last minute and spend numerous hours on it after business hours
- borderline laid back and unprofessional work atmosphere
- company gives off vibe that employees are replaceable; therefore employees leave the company after around a year - sets company culture that this is not a good place to make a career out of

- hire more upper management staff who have good management/communication skills
- set up more employee retention programs

Acumen Response

Mar 10, 2014Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for this feedback. We are happy to hear you feel working under Managing Member and professor, Dr. Thomas MaCurdy is a great place as a post-graduate. You’ll be happy to hear our Human ... More

Other Reviews for Acumen

ok

I have been working at Acumen

Pros

Good nature of their work.

Cons

Low pay, way below industry average

Acumen Response

Mar 10, 2014Senior Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for this feedback.

Bad experience, no management for where I was

I worked at Acumen full-time for less than a year

Pros

It was a job when I needed one. There wasn't pressure to be productive when I didn't have anything to work on, which was pretty much always.

Cons

Nothing to do. I literally did more in 1 month of a proper job than I did in 8 months here. I never had any clear goals or any proper objective, or properly defined role in the workflow. It seemed as though I was hired with some obscure end goal in mind with the thinking that I would be able to execute this alone. This goal was never really communicated to me and I was never given tools to implement anything. So, I wound up not doing anything. Most productivity I did was due to crushing boredom. I wound up coming in late, and leaving early. No one cared, because it didn't make any difference.

This may be due to the fact that I was in an odd position separated from the rest of the company, so I don't pretend that I can represent the whole, but if you're interviewing, and you have a choice of what job to take, aggressively ask them questions about their plans for you.

Also, upon leaving, the HR screwed me by, oddly enough, not cancelling my health coverage, leading to a nightmare trying to get a certificate of creditable coverage to wipe the pre-existing condition clause from my subsequent coverage. I would think that a company dealing with healthcare information would be more responsible with the healthcare information of their own workforce.

If their revenue stream comes from government contracts (I never knew enough to determine either way, but from what I observed that would be the tentative conclusion I would draw) then my employment there and the money given to me was a complete waste of taxpayer money. I was not a contributor to any work done because I did not have the opportunity to contribute.

Have tasks. People want to work, so make sure you actually have something for them to do. Have a plan when you hire someone rather than hiring them and hoping that things will build up around them magically when they don't have the ability to do anything to set things up. Communicate between departments to lay out plans and execute them. Have plans that go farther than 3 days in the future.

There are newer employer reviews for Acumen.

Worked for Acumen? Contribute to the Community!