Addison Whitney

There are newer employer reviews for Addison Whitney

Very positive experience at AW

Former Employee - Branding in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Branding in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Addison Whitney was a great employer—I enjoyed working with and for the people there. They have a fairly corporate atmosphere, with a nice creative streak running through it. They work with some pretty huge brands, and based on their trajectory at the time of my employment, it definitely seemed like things are only looking up for them. I did leave on good terms, but they were very kind to me as I left—I think that says a lot about who they were as individuals and as a company.

Cons

They are based in Ballantyne, so depending on where you live in Charlotte, your commute has the potential to be long.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Addison Whitney (View Most Recent)

Couldn't be happier

Current Employee - Creative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Creative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Addison Whitney full-time (less than a year)

Pros

1 | Working for a top-tier global branding agency every day; the caliber of clients we work with is amazing and the leadership team guides the firm wisely and well.

2 | The people I work with every day are top-notch; every single person is friendly and helpful day in and day out. No one stands on their position here/throws their weight around or insists on working only inside their job description. And on any particular day, you might be working side by side with the president or a junior member brand new to the team - and both experiences are genuinely great.

3 | The variety of projects keeps creative consistently challenging (in the best of ways) and interesting; I look forward to coming to the office every day. When I see other people in my neighborhood dragging themselves out the door to head to work, I’m grateful for how fortunate I am to be here.

4 | The opportunities here are amazing—if you’re interested in a particular area, just say so. Whether you want to help open the next global office or shadow another department to find out more about what they do, all you have to do is ask. And the leadership team tends to promote from within frequently, while still hiring outside the agency to bring in new blood and fresh ideas.

5 | The right tools to do your job, from a state-of-the-art new office space and furnishings to the technology.

Cons

1 | The collaborative, open environment here is both a plus and a minus. It’s enjoyable and stimulating but if you’re in creative, it can occasionally put you at a disadvantage. You may just be getting into the zone on a project—ideas are really flowing, your brain is on fire—and suddenly [sound of screeching brakes] someone’s at your desk asking a question about scheduling or an instant message has popped up on your computer asking you for urgent last-minute help on a presentation. You earnestly want to help them and you personally like to see/hear from them, but by the time you turn back to your creative, the magic and ideas have evaporated. I don't know what the solution is - this is a problem creatives face all over the globe.

2 | This is fairly minor, but our presentations can be visually lackluster at best, eyesores at worst—regrettable for a creative agency with an outstanding visual design team. It would be great to allow them to redesign our presentations or even to hire it out to another design firm if their plate is too full... which is very possible, given how successful this year has been.

1 | Seek a better balance between deadlines (especially arbitrary ones) and quality. Plainly speaking, occasionally timelines seem to be prioritized before quality. Requests and deadlines (not just for client projects, but for misc. internal items) are sometimes given without regard to what’s on the calendar of the creative departments in terms of client work. Educate all team members so we don't shortchange a client's project in favor of something that truly isn't urgent.

2 | Coach overall project leads to speak more plainly to clients when needed. Addison Whitney very much serves its clients, bending over backward and adapting its processes in order to meet client needs—which is one of the most attractive things about working here! But occasionally it can be taken too far. At the these times, when we should be educating a client team so they receive the best value for their money and efforts, timidity seems to strike and our overall project lead barely manages the weakest of hints to the client: hints that would barely register on the most attuned and intelligent of people.

The situations above don't happen frequently, but can be frustrating when they do.

Worst group of people to work for; it feels like high school cliques all over again!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Addison Whitney full-time

Pros

Worked with a variety of companies, from big consumer to technology to healthcare companies. Did not have to stay overtime most days, and the verbal branding department is pleasant.

Cons

Horrible management structure, unfair pay, they lie about their international offices and client list, many employees put in so much work and do not get any recognition, huge turnover rate (everyone quits), and people talk about each other behind their backs all the time and act so nice in front of each other. The people can be summed up by one word: FAKE.

Give the employees some more credit for the work they do. Managers need to take a professional course on how to manage people.

There are newer employer reviews for Addison Whitney