I was pleasantly surprised at how much I love working at Adfero... it's special and not "just like any other firm".

I have been working at Adfero Group

Pros

Where do I start? Adfero is just all-around awesome! Everyone is empowered to really make this firm grow and to take their role within the firm where they want. There's a huge amount of openness in terms of how people can live our our Core Purpose of creating opportunities for people to do what they do best. The fact that this is our Core Purpose alone is remarkable and that our leader stands behind this in everything we do.

Adfero has amazing camaraderie. We're all about teamwork and we mean it. I know many organizations say that but there's something different about it here. It might be due to one of Core Values -- a Swahili saying "Harambee" which means we all pull together. It might be partly due to our open environment where no one has offices from the CEO on throughout. It could be our newly created O Team (the o in Adfero) which focuses on our social, community and green activities. We have quarterly State of Adfero meetings where we're transparent and Jeff gives us a financial update on the company. We have a one for all, all for one mentality exhibited through a quarterly profit sharing bonus plan for everyone. There's a quarterly mentorship program and quarterly performance check-ins. Adfero really does a lot for its employees and in turn, employees take ownership and pride in what they are able to do at Adfero.

It's a great place to work. The best place I've worked.

Cons

The only adjustment I've had in coming to Adfero is getting used to an open work environment. I can get easily distracted and need quiet to get meaty work done so that's when I will sometimes go to one of our unreserved offices to work!

I also think that people who prefer a more structured environment have a harder time adjusting to Adfero. It's very entrepreneurial which plays to another Core Value: Be responsible for results.

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to allow the flexibility and openness on getting great work done and empowering everyone to do their best. Your career here is really what you make of it and Adfero has continued to grow and provide growth to its team. I wouldn't want Adfero to start becoming too much more structured as we grow and I don't see that happening. I'd love to see its core of the entrepreneurial spirit continue to stay alive as it grows. I feel fortunate to have found this place and thank Jeff for the vision he had to create this firm!

Other Reviews for Adfero Group

Account Executive

I have been working at Adfero Group full-time

Pros

Although this experience was not a highlight of my career, there did seem to be a level of genuine camaraderie among the junior staff at the office, and many of the former higher level management team seemed truly interested in acting as mentors.

Cons

Discussions with the CEO are uncomfortable. The process for advancement is never laid out or discussed. There isn't much transparency regarding decision making and finances. Bad contracts are accepted without regard to the negative impact on staff.

If there are areas of high turnovers, those areas should be reviewed and the problem identified rather than covered up. Mass firings are deeply unsettling and somewhat frightening, particularly when a staff member is looking at future success with the company.

Best Place to Launch PR Career

Former Employee - Account Supervisor  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Adfero Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture: Having been at a new company for some time now, I can say that Adfero has the best possible culture. Not only can every (good) employee recite the four core values, but they are employee-focused. It's very inclusive and open, making for happy and accountable employees.

Career Growth: Adfero focuses heavily on individual growth from quarter to quarter and year over year. Constructive feedback is helpful, so long as you take it. I saw plenty of people over time take it personally, but for those of us who took as an opportunity to grow, we succeeded. You have measurable goals and objectives so it's truly up to you to prove yourself.

Opportunity: Like anywhere else, opportunities are there; it's what you make of them that really define your experience at Adfero. I was constantly putting myself out there, and thus rewarded with new clients and awesome opportunities. The key was putting myself out there to prove I could keep doing more.

Senior Management: They've grown the business tremendously, so that's saying something (both in revenue and size of staff). The people are open to feedback and most importantly, they look to the entire staff to help shape the culture, processes and experiences.

I left the company because an amazing opportunity to work in-house somewhere popped up, and I couldn't pass it up. I left on great terms and still lean on some of the staff for mentoring, as well as keep in touch with my former mentees and supervisees.

Cons

Workload: It ebbs and flows just like any PR firm. Sometimes people are really overloaded, but as long as you ask for help (one of the core values is all working together in times like this), you should be fine.

Bad eggs: In my years there, there was always a person or two who wasn't bought into the culture or didn't care to perform well. It's a client services business and that can really weigh on your experience there. They are all eventually weeded out though.

Pay: Let me be clear - pay is on par with other PR firms. However, pay at PR firms isn't as high as other industries or for many in-house PR opportunities. It's marginal, though.

Keep growing. Continue to focus on building a company of great people and great service. It has, and will continue to pay off.

There are newer employer reviews for Adfero Group.

Worked for Adfero Group? Contribute to the Community!