There are newer employer reviews for Admiral Group

Strong business that has trouble hiring business leaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Admiral Group

Pros

Individuals get big opportunities all the time. Relatively junior staff can get make or break projects that other companies would demand decades of experience for. Ownership is pretty solid. Versus other insurers, the company is quick to make decisions and still willing to try new stuff without a 3 year delay doing endless powerpoint. On the whole these are positive things that help the business and people grow.

Cons

Recent hires in senior management are questionable - people imported from large corporates who are afraid to make decisions and don't like being asked to do work themselves. Newer business departments (overseas, price comparison) are highly political. Under-performers are not managed out and are paid so well they never volunteer to leave, meaning there is an increasing layer of dead weight in the business.

Development internal appointees rather than putting faith in external corporate hires who lack the work ethic and interest in the business needed to make us succeed. Focus on results, not politics.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company to work for, apart from basic salary rates

Former Employee - Finance Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Assistant in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Admiral Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee engagement is a big focus at Admiral. The company is based on the idea that people who like what they do, do it better, and communication takes the form of team meetings, a company-wide magazine, newly developed staff intranet, annual Staff General Meeting (SGM) and email bulletins. Employees are encouraged to have fun through team-building days and afternoons out, paid for by the company, in addition to Summer and Christmas parties for departments, and a big company-wide party held every 2 years.
    There is a great opportunity for internal promotion within the company, and many senior managers began their career in the call-centre and worked their way up.

Cons

Low basic salary - this is supplemented by a generous employee share scheme, although some employees voiced concerns that they would rather have a better basic salary than to receive shares.
    Call-centre jobs can be high pressured.
    Favouritism is widespread in many departments.

Increase basic salary

2. High expectations from management for low wages. If you are going to join the Admiral Group...stay away from ADMIRAL LAW

Former Employee - Paralegal in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Admiral Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of my collegues were great to work with. If you join the company you will make life long friends because of the community spirit that has developed, i think partly down to the fact that it has a friendly welsh ethos.

Cons

The job!!! For what is comparatively low wages the management expect miracles. I was with the Admiral Group for 3 years and in my last year before I left i joined the legal arm of the company called Admiral Law which was recently set up. Admiral Law has an incredibly high number of people leaving the company for a number of reasons. The work load was just far too high because people were leaving faster than they could recruit. Management are out of touch. Considering people were working as hard as they could management treated the employees very badly which demotivated staff because you were never considered to be good enough. I left because i was tired at the way i was being treated with my confidence at an all time low. Since leaving the company I have found my confidence again am very positive about the future (more so because I dont have to return to the company).

The office hours of 9-6 are very long. I would start to switch off around 4.30 and the last 1.5hours would drag.

They really need to start taking care of their employees far more. After all with the attrition rate as high as it is they cant afford to be treating staff with distain. With so many people leaving it leaves a lot of work for those left behind to pick up who then consider leaving. Its a virtous cycle - one that im glad to have left.

There are newer employer reviews for Admiral Group