Adobe

www.adobe.com

Riding past successes, hopefully continues to survive, pretends to be progressive but is actually fairly insular.

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Interesting products, reasonable work-life balance, and they are trying do innovate and move beyond their core products. Good relative salaries. Macromedia aquisition helped to dilute the stifling old-boys club.

Cons

You need to be in the club - this is no meritocracy - it's an old-boys club. Thus if you aren't in this club - and it take years to be included - you will suffer an extremely slow path of development and promotion. If rapid growth is important to you, then you'll need to look elsewhere. Unfortunately a fair number of members of the 'club' have been at Adobe for a decade (or more), and they seem to feel like there is some time-based 'dues' that need to be paid. If you are a woman, it is also more difficult to get past Director level. There are very few that actually own product/revenue.

Our attempts at innovation are fairly weak and are very close to our existing products. Glacial pace of employee development leads many folks to looking elsewhere, even though it is easy to get caught in the 'comfort' trap. But you don't want folks comfortable - you want them striving for the next level. When it is apparent that you need to be in a club to advance, or here for more than 5 years, then motivation flags.

Other reviews for Adobe

A great place to work

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great culture, people are smart and laid back. San Francisco office is gorgeous. Great cafeteria, SOMA location, and shuttles to and from. Cube architecture works particularly well here -- the developers decorate their space, giving each branch of the office its own unique look. Definitely the best take on a cube farm I've ever seen.

Products are also fantastic. It's nice being able to tell your friends that you have PDF, Flash, and Photoshop under your belt. One of the few places where you have well-known products and people don't draw immediate assumptions about you (Microsoft = Evil, Google = Weird, etc.).

Cons

Normal big-company woes, San Jose office is a drag

More SF/SJ integration

Adobe Product Marketing review

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I like working for Adobe because I have the opportunity to work with fantastic people while developing and marketing best-in-class products. My colleagues and management are hard-working and talented individuals whom I enjoy working with. Many of my colleagues are not only co-workers, but they have also become good friends.

We make products that enable our customers to communicate and collaborate engaging ideas. As a product marketing manager, I gather feedback from sales and customers to help make our products even more powerful. In addition, it seems that nearly everyone I know outside of Adobe is an Adobe customer in some way shape or form. Many Adobe customers are very passionate about the products and love sharing feedback. Typically when it comes up in conversation that I work for Adobe, I end up in very animated discussions.

Cons

Adobe is a pretty large company and with our size comes bureaucracy and process. While I recognize the importance of process, sometimes the amount of process at Adobe can be stifling and frustrating. This is especially true for newer products that don't fit the mold of the core products.

While Adobe has a very collaborative environment, sometimes it is a little too collaborative. Combined with the process, the collaborative environment can lead to drawn out decisions. By taking too long to make decisions, sometimes we miss the boat on large opportunities.

Other than process and the tendency to draw out decisions, I cannot think of any other downsides.

Continue the quarterly all-hands meetings. They provide a great forum for us to gain more perspective about recent results as well as the vision of the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Adobe.

Worked for Adobe? Contribute to the Community!