There are newer employer reviews for Adobe

Adobe: my platform from which to transform the world, and improve the future of digital media.

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Adobe

Pros

We create tools that enable creative expression that's never before been possible! Adobe understands what it takes to ship world-class software; we have a software development process that's sane, challenging, intuitive, and which ensures that we maintain a semblance of work / life balance.

Cons

Our competence is sometimes punished by further responsibility. "You did THAT, without additional headcount? Well, let's see if you can do even BETTER, without additional headcount!" "Great job meeting those aggressive quarterly numbers. Here are some BIGGER numbers to beat. Recession? WHAT recession?" I kid, but Adobe wrings every bit of productivity from its groups. Our 'modular' approach to software development allows this to work. Under-performers don't last long at Adobe, which is good for our corporate DNA.

Advice to Management

Give teams more time to develop point-product features, rather than prioritizing Suites above all. Oh, and more random bonuses for Engineering Managers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. There is great potential to learn and develop as a professional and as a human being. The work loads are flexible.

Current Employee - Lead Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Adobe

Pros

There are lots of benefits, it's a tolerant environment, and there are flexible hours.

Cons

My area is a withering branch. Proven technology might be neglected while non-proven technology is given lots of attention.

Advice to Management

The jobs should stay here and not be outsourced.

Look outside your four walls before it is too late

Current Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Adobe

Pros

Benefits, holiday time, work-life balance, facilities, developer and community outreach, off-work activities, exciting place to work with respect to product lines (Creative Suite, Flex, AIR).

Cons

Ossified hierarchical old-school Xerox PARC culture, little opportunity to move out of hired-in functional area or grow in one's functional area, culture stubbornly resistant to change, management lives in the past and resists change or innovation from the outside, navel gazing. Adobe marches to the beat of its own drum whether it makes sense or not. Failed

Advice to Management

Get out of the lab and start looking at what's going on outside your four walls. Give employees opportunities to explore career paths that may be outside their existing functional area. Invest more in training existing employees instead of churlishly insisting that you hire in people with narrow experience in a functional area from the outside. Having marketing folks with engineering experience is a plus, not a minus, and until you realize that, you're going to continue to have a rough time of your new initiatives.