Think Tank for Internet technologies

Current Employee - Computer Scientist in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Computer Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Adobe

Pros

My team and I write code that is executed on over a billion computers -- 98% of the world's internet-connected computers. No other company has a product that can boast this. We brought TV to the internet, and won a freakin' Emmy award for it. I feel extremely privileged and happy to be working at Adobe. My co-workers are geniuses, all as smart as the guys at Google.

Cons

Senior management is getting greedy and insecure, and it shows in some of their big decisions.

Advice to Management

Get your greed under control. Make decisions that will make us thrive in the long term, not so much in the short term. $1.8B was way too much for Omniture, and it was purchased out of a sense of insecurity. We should have bought On2, and we should buy Unity, ASAP. Also, we'd like free lunch in SF, if not every day, then every monday and wednesday or something :-)

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Becoming less fun to work here as corporation and resulting bureaucracy grows

Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Adobe

Pros

You get to work on interesting products and technologies. If you don't like what you are doing, it is relatively easy to transfer to another group. Company has a good reputation in the marketplace. Very good benefits and amenities, including employee software purchasing, private offices, on-site post office and gym, some free food and drinks.

Cons

Benefits have been significantly cut in the last couple of years. Promotions are difficult to get. Cost-cutting measures have resulted in ridiculous bureaucracy in purchasing equipment. Layoffs are frequent. New hires are usually in China and India instead of USA. With some products there is a lack of leadership from senior management, which results in low-quality products. It is very difficult to fire incompetent people, especially managers.

Advice to Management

Add a system for people to review their managers so senior management can be notified about poor managers. Instead of laying off people in the US to boost the stock price, should be investing in acquiring great talent to really mature some of our products.

Great workplace; culture is a bit corporate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Adobe

Pros

Very employee-centric company, great benefits, smart and talented people, culture is more corporate than others (even in San Francisco office).

Cons

Career advancement somewhat limited, a little bit of "not what you do, but how you do it" going on, as with most places you need to do your share of networking to move up. Managers always seem to be willing to pile on the work.

Advice to Management

Fight the FUD by keeping quality high and never stop fighting the evil empire(s). Keep up the good work on the marketing front.