Advance Auto Parts

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Overall Good Opportunity

Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of making my own schedule
Depending on the quality of the District Leader or Regional VP, micromanagement has been minimal
Bonus pay has been reasonably good, unlike other companies that have offered bonus and made it virtually unachievable
Depending on the quality of your hiring and staffing standards, the team I work with is excellent
Communicated company goals are in line with respectable values
Reasonably competitive benefits

Cons

Advancement opportunity upwards from General Manager upwards is not structured, requested long term promotion plan and upper level has provided vague, open ended goals
Depending on the current District Leader or Regional VP, micromanagement can be horrible
Realignments and upper level management changes can negatively affect store teams
Upper level hires advancement positions from outside applicants before effectively offering the opportunity to qualified internal applicants

The company has over 3600 General Managers and continues to hire district level and higher management without even informing or giving most General Managers a long term plan for preparing for those positions. I have seen enough upper level managers get hired in and leave the company, while consistently leading General Managers stay around. Most of the excellent quality General Managers that I knew when I started with the company have left over time to pursue better opportunities, while we have many new faces being brought in to lead us that are supposed to know our business and customers better than our own team. Bottom line - provide the top handful of successful managers with long term advancement goals to make sure we don't lose more talent.

815 Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

Good company to work for depending what store you're in

Current Employee - Sales in Indian Harbour Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Indian Harbour Beach, FL

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy job to learn
    Managers are friendly and are helpful
    Good employees.
    Team Member discount.
    Have most parts in stock

Cons

Computer system is slow.
    Customers are pissed because there car is broke down
    The pay isn't all great start you out a little over minimum wage.
    Have to put batteries in rain,sunshine,sleet,snow etc.
    unreliable schedule- never can plan to do anything in advance because days off change every week, and one week you might get 40 hours and the next you might get 25.
    have to do job of 3 people when your only getting paid for one.

Pay attention to employees working hard and reward them for their work.
    Paying everyone low wages is not going to make employees happy and wont get best quality work.
    Not to overload/stress employees by giving them jobs of 3 people and getting paid for only one. For example if you are a Sales Associate- Your duties are to sell parts, put up truck, do plan-o-grams, and deliver parts.

Good Part-time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Blacksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Blacksburg, VA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people I was working with

Cons

Manager would change schedule around and would not notify you of the fact you were scheduled to come in the next day

Have commission on sales