Advance Auto Parts

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Overall Good Opportunity

Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of making my own schedule
Depending on the quality of the District Leader or Regional VP, micromanagement has been minimal
Bonus pay has been reasonably good, unlike other companies that have offered bonus and made it virtually unachievable
Depending on the quality of your hiring and staffing standards, the team I work with is excellent
Communicated company goals are in line with respectable values
Reasonably competitive benefits

Cons

Advancement opportunity upwards from General Manager upwards is not structured, requested long term promotion plan and upper level has provided vague, open ended goals
Depending on the current District Leader or Regional VP, micromanagement can be horrible
Realignments and upper level management changes can negatively affect store teams
Upper level hires advancement positions from outside applicants before effectively offering the opportunity to qualified internal applicants

The company has over 3600 General Managers and continues to hire district level and higher management without even informing or giving most General Managers a long term plan for preparing for those positions. I have seen enough upper level managers get hired in and leave the company, while consistently leading General Managers stay around. Most of the excellent quality General Managers that I knew when I started with the company have left over time to pursue better opportunities, while we have many new faces being brought in to lead us that are supposed to know our business and customers better than our own team. Bottom line - provide the top handful of successful managers with long term advancement goals to make sure we don't lose more talent.

752 Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

Delivering auto parts

Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Lewisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Lewisburg, PA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Helpful, cooperative co-workers
    They go out of their way to satisfy their customers. I've delivered parts and assistance to motorists who've broken down on the road. And gotten them on their way. THAT'S service!

Cons

Low pay
    Rude, arrogant customers (some people you just can't satisfy)
    The employee performance program used (IGNITE) tends to cause associates to avoid and "shy away" the customers that want only a few low priced items.

Raise salaries at all levels. (come on, the company can afford it)

great company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

growth potential, working enviroment, the company has very good benifits and works well with the team to get the most out of you

Cons

lots of changes going on in sales and inventory levels, some what behind the competition on stock assortment. just growth pains

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts