Advance Auto Parts

www.advanceautoparts.com
  www.advanceautoparts.com
There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Rewarding pay, but unprofessional upper management.

Former Employee - General Manager in Marshfield, WI
Former Employee - General Manager in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is great. Helping people solve there automotive issues. Sense of ownership until the last 2 mo.

Cons

60-80 Hour weeks. Most store managers have lost the ability to manage their stores due to new district manager. Most stores have been instructed to reduce pay of employes, even store that are running a 30% sales gain over past years. Bonus program has been made into a joke.

Advance needs more Dm's and Rvp's that have actually picked up a wrench professionally,and know how a shop runs. The auto industry in not your typical retail field and until you realize it you will always be a second call after NAPA or Car-quest.

756 Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

Monotone experience, no excitement or true incentives to make it worthwhile.

Current Employee - Hourly Assistant Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Hourly Assistant Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Helping customers, availability of parts for employees. Met some good mechanics.

Cons

Pay rate, employee discount sucks(customers get a better deal when they purchase online). Outdated monitors and technology, Auto Zone is way ahead of the game.

Bettler pay rate for management team, higher employee discount 20% wont cut it when customers get up to 30% online. Upgrade the computer system.

Overall Good Opportunity

Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility of making my own schedule
    Depending on the quality of the District Leader or Regional VP, micromanagement has been minimal
    Bonus pay has been reasonably good, unlike other companies that have offered bonus and made it virtually unachievable
    Depending on the quality of your hiring and staffing standards, the team I work with is excellent
    Communicated company goals are in line with respectable values
    Reasonably competitive benefits

Cons

Advancement opportunity upwards from General Manager upwards is not structured, requested long term promotion plan and upper level has provided vague, open ended goals
    Depending on the current District Leader or Regional VP, micromanagement can be horrible
    Realignments and upper level management changes can negatively affect store teams
    Upper level hires advancement positions from outside applicants before effectively offering the opportunity to qualified internal applicants

The company has over 3600 General Managers and continues to hire district level and higher management without even informing or giving most General Managers a long term plan for preparing for those positions. I have seen enough upper level managers get hired in and leave the company, while consistently leading General Managers stay around. Most of the excellent quality General Managers that I knew when I started with the company have left over time to pursue better opportunities, while we have many new faces being brought in to lead us that are supposed to know our business and customers better than our own team. Bottom line - provide the top handful of successful managers with long term advancement goals to make sure we don't lose more talent.

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts