Advance Auto Parts

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

financial analyst

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Roanoke, VA
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoy the industry and company has a good culture. With so many stores and a large corporate office, there are plenty of opportunity for career growth if you want to apply yourself and actively look for something to do

Cons

The company changes direction constantly. One of the big difference between this company and others is the number of times we change major initiatives. We seem to really have the flavor of the month and i think that slows down our execution at times.

Work in the store more often and stick with consistent strategy and messaging

756 Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

Make it less about Shareholders and more about Customers and Team Members

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time

Pros

AAP is a stable company with an abundance of facilities, which opens a wide field of advancement opportunity for team members at all levels.

AAP seems to genuinely care about team members, training, employee retention, and their compensation levels are competitive for exempt salaried positions.

AAP is fairly good about sharing the vision behind corporate level decisions, as well as the "big picture" ideology behind the decision.

Cons

While they share the vision and big picture surrounding ideas, they do not appear to do enough beta testing with chain wide rollouts.

The company does not focus on handling individual problems with team members at the origination point of the problem. Instead, they tend to issue chain wide policies that make successful managers feel unappreciated and underestimated. For example, a standardized schedule has been developed for salaried Store Managers that requires an hour lunch, involves working every Friday night and then opening every Saturday morning except for one per month, giving managers every Wednesday off, even if it is their warehouse truck replenishment day, and making anything that even resembles flexibility with scheduling a distant memory.

The company frequently makes knee jerk decisions that affect the entire chain.

AAP is following Walmart's model of cutting labor expenses to the lowest possible levels. The problem with this approach is that AAP's core merchandise requires customer facing team member interactions. If there are less team members facing customers, stores are going to generate less revenue. Employee bonuses and pay increases are based on achieving sales expectations.

IT software and hardware is outdated and needs to be replaced.

Upper management has all but eliminated managing markets based on the demographics and characteristics of that market. All too often, decisions are made with only the affect of the entire company in mind. For example, company wide DIY sales may not be dropping, but if DIY is suffering in areas that it used to be strong, and commercial is excelling in another, sales stay stagnant. Not losing focus on what you have earned, while making investments to get something that you haven't, is not something that the company believes in.

The company is investing in commercial growth by gutting the DIY sales coverage instead of maintaining DIY staffing levels and actually making an investment in commercial business to ensure future success.

My advice to upper management would be to make a couple of decisions. Make a decision on what type of company you want to be associated with. There are two key things that company needs to consider.

The first is:

Do you want to have operationally minded people managing your stores? This tendency to put parts salesmen in management positions, and then try to force them to be operationally efficient, is not a very sustainable practice. At the same time, putting operationally oriented managers into stores and expecting them to make selling parts the main focus of their day will prove to be a bad decision as well. Stores that are operationally sound and put customer centric behaviors into place will generate sales that far exceed expectations, if there is labor to sell the parts.

The second is:

Look at the ratings on this site for Walmart, and then look at the ratings on this site for Costco. There is a pretty distinct difference. If you also look at the public image that each of the companies have: media reports, and year over year comp reports, you also see a difference in performance. Does AAP want to follow the Costco example, or the Walmart example?

I am fairly certain that someone at home office reads these. I say that because shortly before the scheduling template was introduced, it was suggested on this site. We were made aware of the change not even six weeks later. I love working at AAP, I strive to be the best manager that I can be every day I work, and I do not accept not being the best at what I do. I do not enjoy being made to feel as if I can not make a sound business decision at store level. There are days that I feel like tossing my keys across the store and walking out. While those days are very few, it is pretty hard to demotivate me; yet, upper management has been able to push me to that point lately.

Beat company to work for, everyone has it's ups and downs, but a great company overall.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Career growth is solid, but you must put forth the effort.
    Excellent perks at upper levels, maybe too many in some cases.

Cons

Too top heavy in management.
    Commercial field teams not completely sales driven.

Look at the eeffects of what happens with being top heavy to what teams in the field need.

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts