There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Good place to work, if you have a thick skin.

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Williamsport, PA
Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping out the customers that need your help, it feels good to do something that I find simple that makes a customer's day. I truly respect most of the people I work with, most have the knowledge and skills that help the store thrive and make customers happy.

Cons

Well the pay and the hours are less to be desires. Even if you have the education and credentials you are still treated like a burden because "you didn't put the time in". Some management is a victim of the "retail curse": "Well you've been here long enough, would you like to run the place". The computer systems are awful, I use my smart phone so many times during the day to find thins for customers.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the people who make a difference at the bottom line, not the people you're friends with.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not a place that appreciates your hard work

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Who doesn't like someone treating you like a hero for some simple task? Most customers do appreciate us, and I appreciate them.
    The job is fairly low impact physically for a manager with health issues.
    As a third tier retail manager, I am paid slightly higher than Glassdoor has my job title's pay rate listed, but then again, I've been stuck in essentially the same position for 8+ years, so I'm not sure that's a pro.

Cons

Currently, I do the AGM job without the AGM pay. My store has no AGM, so I'm a defacto AGM.

In my experience, and biased perspective: There is little need in this company for educated, professional, experienced, honest, loyal, hard working, ambitious, and proficient leaders. I have all the obvious qualifications for a GM job (Business management degree, ASE certification, experience, etc...). However, I cannot get the DM to enroll me in the management training course. I have been rejected for general manager jobs because I have not been through the course, and I have not been to the course because I failed a computerized psychological test years ago. I did pass that same test over a year ago, but it has not changed my opportunities. I'm seldom informed of opportunities that open up. I have to pursue them myself when I hear of them through the rumor mill. To top it all off, I've seen people whom I have supervised, who didn't want to work while they are at work, get opportunities I have been passed up for. That is demoralizing.

This is a stressful job (mostly due to thin staffing). I had a possibly related life threatening health event, and, according to my district manager, I almost lost my job due to the one month my doctor ordered I take off. That entire month was covered by my accrued sick time. You could get fired for almost dropping dead and using sick time here.

Advice to Management

Look out for good old boy networks. Have somebody other than a DM in charge of a district and his DM buddy from the neighboring district scout your talent.

I love my job because of my coworkers, but it isn't a living wage by any means.

Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro
    Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As a mobile parts professional, I get paid to drive around and deliver parts to various commercial customers. I love driving, listening to music, and making new friends with the mechanics and service writers. I get along with all of my coworkers and morale is high. Part time employees are eligible for benefits and employees receive a 20% discount on parts.

Cons

The pay is dismal. $8 an hour with 20 guaranteed hours per week for a part time employee. There's a high turnover rate and no one seems to be able to attain full time status. No bonuses given to drivers, aside from the occasional free lunch. After three months I expected a review and a raise only to be told that our store was skipped this year when it came to raises. "They're given out every March, so we're obviously not getting them this year. And if you get one next year it'll likely only be ten cents or so." I was told to hope for a federal minimum wage increase instead.