Advance Auto Parts

www.advanceautoparts.com
  www.advanceautoparts.com
There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Not a place that appreciates your hard work

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro
Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Who doesn't like someone treating you like a hero for some simple task? Most customers do appreciate us, and I appreciate them.
The job is fairly low impact physically for a manager with health issues.
As a third tier retail manager, I am paid slightly higher than Glassdoor has my job title's pay rate listed, but then again, I've been stuck in essentially the same position for 8+ years, so I'm not sure that's a pro.

Cons

Currently, I do the AGM job without the AGM pay. My store has no AGM, so I'm a defacto AGM.

In my experience, and biased perspective: There is little need in this company for educated, professional, experienced, honest, loyal, hard working, ambitious, and proficient leaders. I have all the obvious qualifications for a GM job (Business management degree, ASE certification, experience, etc...). However, I cannot get the DM to enroll me in the management training course. I have been rejected for general manager jobs because I have not been through the course, and I have not been to the course because I failed a computerized psychological test years ago. I did pass that same test over a year ago, but it has not changed my opportunities. I'm seldom informed of opportunities that open up. I have to pursue them myself when I hear of them through the rumor mill. To top it all off, I've seen people whom I have supervised, who didn't want to work while they are at work, get opportunities I have been passed up for. That is demoralizing.

This is a stressful job (mostly due to thin staffing). I had a possibly related life threatening health event, and, according to my district manager, I almost lost my job due to the one month my doctor ordered I take off. That entire month was covered by my accrued sick time. You could get fired for almost dropping dead and using sick time here.

Look out for good old boy networks. Have somebody other than a DM in charge of a district and his DM buddy from the neighboring district scout your talent.

674 Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

Not a good place to work.

Current Employee - PARTS COUNTER PERSON  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - PARTS COUNTER PERSON in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hourly rate was pretty good, but only because I negotiated it. Alot of the coworkers were really nice, and I enjoyed working with them.

Cons

The management was absolutely the worst; they talked down to you and teated you like an idiot ! I had a problem with the management that was race related, and tried to contact H.R. at the home office, but they refused to do anything about it!

When you have people that are knowledgeable and can bring in the sales, treat them well ! When someone does something good acknowledge it instead of using the moment to bring up something petty!

Fairly soul crushing

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

Flexibility, laid back management, things get done eventually but it's not a hard job

Cons

Getting written up for stupid things is like going to the principals office, upper management talks to you like your a child, pay is embarrassing. Sales associates are trusted with nothing everything is locked down for manager approval.

Treat your employees with respect.

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Worked for Advance Auto Parts? Contribute to the Community!