There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Crummy Retail Environment, little room to excel in the company, terrible corporate policies.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC
Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is a very corporate buzzword, stereotypical retail environment. Normally a bad thing, but generally if you have a decent district manager, and show interest in moving up within the company, you will do fine. One thing I would suggest is that if you're interested in working at any type of auto parts store, try to work at or transfer to a store located in a nicer area. I had worked in one of the richest areas in my state for a while, and the job was very rewarding. I transferred to a store in a much poorer area and it was quite different.

Cons

As a sales associate you're expected to constantly be working on a dozen things at once. Unless the GM is competent, you'll find yourself either in the back of the store smoking cigarettes with management, or up front alone do their job. It's very high stress, and your mileage will vary drastically depending on how involved the other employees are with just doing their job.

None.

reviews filtered by

Great place to work

Current Employee - District Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - District Manager in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, growing, great product line

Cons

targets set by company not based on growth

Bonus structures that are based on growth

NOT SO GREAT ANYMORE

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with AAP for over almost 4 years. Met some great customers and have built solid relationships. Taking care of my commercial customers with the right parts so they can be successful is rewarding.

Cons

Well where do I start? Seems within the middle to last part of 2012 there have been MAJOR hour cuts and MAJOR micro-managing. Company does not seem to know what direction to take. GMs are puppet managers. I am the Commercial Parts Pro (CPP) at my store and have to help out on the front end CONSTANTLY including checking batteries and engine lights and this is frustrating to my commercial accounts that are spending big $$ with us 5-8k per week for just one account. Have lost several accounts because of this. I have been told they can walk in to Napa or another competitor and don't have to wait on the commercial parts guy to get off the retail counter or get done checking a engine light. Part of our FREE services by the way. Ignite sales reports are demoralizing the team and making part time team members feel they are worthless. Corporate wants sales $$ but cuts staffing. CDL is a JOKE. You can be outside for 30-45 minutes with customers doing our FREE services and not get $1 in sales. Yet CDL is based on sales. LOL. Yet there will be a line with 5 to 6 paying customers and 1 guy at the counter. People walking out because of excessive waiting. AAP use to have it together but now I will be giving my notice within the next several weeks. Too much inconsistency.

It all starts at the top. One thing for sure....leave your commercial team alone and stop using them as front end help. We are the ones that brings in the $$. Its in commercial hard parts, not wash and wax. Let your GMS be GMS. As long as they follow company policy and procedures that is fine. Get rid of CDL. It does not work. It might also help if the GMs have a little parts knowledge. I have worked with 8 different managers in 4 years and only one of them used to be a technician such as myself. No surprise to me that he has one of the highest store sales in the company. The rest have came from banks, Kmart, Dell, etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts