Advance Auto Parts

www.advanceautoparts.com
  www.advanceautoparts.com
There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

Good some days, intolerable others

Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Orlando, FL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were friendly and somewhat knowledgeable when considering auto parts. A lot of the regular customers were very friendly and understanding as well.

Cons

If you worked with a team member that had no idea what they were doing, they were making your life more miserable because you'd have to pick up their slack.

Roughly 60% of the job is testing/installing batteries or checking OBD II codes. Company policy states we are not allowed to tell them what the OBD codes mean, but customers are never satisfied with just the code because they're expecting a free rundown of exactly what's wrong with their car. It boils down to a retail job offering free services that are heavily taken advantage of.

A large majority of the store managers are very easy to work with. Power tripping seems to be prevalent with the aren't

733 Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts (View Most Recent)

Good but not for long term

Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Akron, OH

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful working conditions, low stress, easy to keep a job

Cons

Low pay, little to no raises, if you want to work full time prepare togive unlimited availibility

It would be easier to hang on to your good employees if you tried to reward for years of service. A full time empoyees for 5 years should be able to break $10/hr but not at my store..

Crummy Retail Environment, little room to excel in the company, terrible corporate policies.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company is a very corporate buzzword, stereotypical retail environment. Normally a bad thing, but generally if you have a decent district manager, and show interest in moving up within the company, you will do fine. One thing I would suggest is that if you're interested in working at any type of auto parts store, try to work at or transfer to a store located in a nicer area. I had worked in one of the richest areas in my state for a while, and the job was very rewarding. I transferred to a store in a much poorer area and it was quite different.

Cons

As a sales associate you're expected to constantly be working on a dozen things at once. Unless the GM is competent, you'll find yourself either in the back of the store smoking cigarettes with management, or up front alone do their job. It's very high stress, and your mileage will vary drastically depending on how involved the other employees are with just doing their job.

None.