Commercial Manager

I worked at Advance Auto Parts

Pros

great crew, loved my customers and accounts

Cons

sexist district managers, no room for advancement, you can work and work and work and youll just stay in the same position with no raise

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Worst corporation I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount on parts is sadly the only perk I can think of at all.

Cons

Embarrassingly low pay(less than fast food). When we are hiring and people inquire as to how much we pay, the general response is laughter. I am not sure if this is company wide but we are literally forced to hire people at a lower starting pay than McDonald's, even if the candidate is very qualified with multiple ASE certifications. Our workload has tripled over the last 18 months and our reward has been no raises for the last 2 years. Also our prices have sky rocketed and it's getting out of hand, local grocery stores are killing us on oil by over $1 a quart and our DL tried to say it was because of their buying power, sure Ingle's and Food Lion have more oil buying power than Advance Auto.

Advice to Management

At the ridiculous rate you think you can pay people this company will fold within 10 years. People that have no clue about automotive repair can't sell parts, it's that simple. Basic math, if you drop pay by $1 an hour you "Save" $40 a week per employee right? WRONG! Because that person you just hired in at a bargain just lost you 1k in one day by not knowing jack about what they were selling. And that also goes for higher management, DL and up. If you want to "lead" a district of professional auto parts sales people, you might want to figure out what a brake rotor is or what a spark plug does.

13 wasted years

Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In the beginning, there was the opportunity for advancement from within the company.

Cons

Internal promotions are no longer the norm. Just about every management position will be filled with outside hires. If you manage to stay with the company for any length of time, and you are not a General Manager or Mobile Pro, you will have a sales goal based on your compensation. The more you make, the more you are expected to generate in sales regardless of the situation. Your only hope is to become friends with someone in operations to attain any type of promotion. I watched the company that once truly cared for its team members become a company where its no longer what you know but who.

Advice to Management

You have become a company where no one wishes to speak up. Bad idea are forced to work regardless of merit. At one time there was a company wide review of operations; how ever, when the team began to point out obvious flaws with where the company was headed you stopped listening and started punishing.