Advance Publications
www.advance.net Staten Island, NY 5000+ Employees

A Bumbling Attempt to Navigate an Ailing Corporation

ProsCompetitive salary, excellent benefits, an open and easygoing work environment, some potential for advancement and job training, lots of time off, flexibility, additional perks from advertisers and seminars on retirement, etc.

ConsMost of those "pro"s are good as of ten years ago. Withing the last five, panic ensued and all hell broke loose. Benefits, salary and jobs have been slashed. Upper and middle management, and then sales and news staff, have become a revolving door. Medical benefits are a bureaucratic nightmare and require yearly screening or you're cut. Management grasp desperately at radical solutions and completely lose focus on their main product while not really improving in technology fields. Before, some malcontents existed. Now, a poisonous atmosphere of hostility and bitterness prevails among even the best left.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need people who understand the publication industry capable of openness and honesty, and who are willing to make rational decisions on what to do about the internet. Instead we get Wall Street expatriates doing a hack job every two years before moving on to a better job. There are people with vision already working in your company. Find them, promote them and nourish them.

Your employees appreciate your commitment to their benefits, but why do your senior editors not defend your company's rights to run its business, and instead kowtow to whatever way the wind is blowing?

It was fine

Reporter (Former Employee)
    Bay City, MI

I worked at Advance Publications part-time for less than a year

Pros: Flexible Hours for week and weekend Cons: Corporate feel stifled all creativity Advice to Senior Management: Let go Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Go elsewhere

Director (Former Employee)
    Wilmington, DE

I worked at Advance Publications

Pros: Matching 401 K from company Cons: Shifting priorities, uninspiring business model No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Advance Publications.

Worked for Advance Publications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Advance Publications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Advance Publications CEO Donald E. Newhouse. All reviews posted anonymously by Advance Publications employees.