AdvancePierre Foods

www.advancepierre.com
  www.advancepierre.com
There are newer employer reviews for AdvancePierre Foods

Don't expect a life working here

Former Employee - Factory Worker in Lorain, OH
Former Employee - Factory Worker in Lorain, OH

I worked at AdvancePierre Foods part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There really were none, except that you're pretty much hired on the spot I guess.

Cons

This is an absolute HORRIBLE place to work. I understand that people need money. I sure did, but after four days I had to quit the job because it was an absolute nightmare.

Let me start with your coworkers. They are an awful, uneducated bunch. The foreigners talk about you behind your back, some of them not knowing that I understood spanish. You are not respected. You are not treated as a human being. You are a machine with no feelings and no worth to those people, who give absolutey no cares in the world for you. There is no feeling of camaraderie, there is no unity, this job had the absolute most disjointed, soulless people I have ever worked with.

Now for the work. It is repetitive. It requires the braincells of an amoeba. Expect to stand for five hours straight doing the same thing on a fast moving assembly line that barely gives you the time to raise your arm much less put cheese on bread.

You want a life? Not here. Seven days a week with no days off, often times 9 hours a day.

Overtime? Nope. Oftentime your assembly line will be shut down early and you might have to go home several hours early. Sometimes you'll arrive at work only to find you are not needed and you're sent home off the bat. No calls. Nothing. Like I said, they don't care about you.

My advice? Get a better job. It's better to work at a grocery store than work at a place like this. I suppose if you really need the cash, this would be a good way to hold you afloat until you find a better job but by no means is this a good place to work. You have no life. No benefits. And you're treated like a dog. It's asinine and frankly disgusting, and working here only supports this company's disregard for their employees.

Best thing I ever did was walk off the assembly line and tell the manager I quit.

Stop treating your workers like animals. Screen your employees so that they're not working alongside felons.

25 Other Employee Reviews for AdvancePierre Foods (View Most Recent)

I never believed in the concept of hell, until I worked for Advance/ Pierre foods.

Former Employee - You Name It--I Did It! in Amherst, OH
    Former Employee - You Name It--I Did It! in Amherst, OH

I worked at AdvancePierre Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

LOTS of work & overtime. If you really need some money, plenty of OT is available.
    Aside from the overtime, I truly cannot think of one redeeming feature about this place. Well, they DO have automatic toilets--when they work. And there is a smoking area by the dumpster. That's it.

Cons

Where do I start? I think that the sign above the front gate that says" Arbeit Macht Frei" should clue people in.

Antiquated machinery that constantly breaks down is par for the course. However, it's the human laborers that get blamed for the down time and often have to stay late in order to get the order finished. Work schedules are extremely erratic--you NEVER knew when you were leaving for the day. It could be noon, it could be 8:00 PM. It gets to the point that you could never make any plans and the frustration about this was made known--to no avail, of course.
    The standard reply from management: "You should just be glad that you even HAVE a job! Now, get back in there and hand wrap 10 sandwiches per minute for 12 hours a day and too bad that you have to pick your kids up from daycare! You should have made a back up plan!"

Most of the "line coaches" are jokes. They got their job because they're buddies with management. They are undereducated brown nosers who don't have a single clue about how to actually do the job they were given. I have seen experienced, knowledgeable line workers passed over for "coach" jobs because they didn't suck up to management.

The QA department is embarrassing. The experienced QA techs either quit or were fired. The in house microbiologist was also let go a couple of years ago. A revolving door of "Line Monitors" do most of the product checking that QA used to do, so needless to say, products are often out of spec in some way.

The amount of waste is appalling! If a sandwich has part of an edge cut off and can't be "reworked" it gets thrown out. There are literally HUGE trash cans full of unusable / unsalvageable product. But--don't think of taking one for your lunch. You'll get fired. The APF dumpster was quite popular among the homeless population. Workers were known to sneak back there, pick through the dumpsters and load bags of sandwiches into their cars.

In short, I would only recommend working at APF only if you are truly desperate for a job and have a penchant for a bit of masochism. But don't expect to get hired in unless you have a critical skill like forklift operator or you can hand wrap 10-12 sandwiches per minute. The turnover rate is extremely high due to the erratic scheduling, the bitter cold temperatures and the incompetence of management.

Treat your workers like human beings NOT robots! Yeah, it's all about numbers, we get that. But--how are you going to "get your numbers" when your workforce is physically and mentally exhausted? You CANNOT work people 12-14 hours / day 7 days a week and NOT expect some type of mass walk-offs, no call/ no shows and quittings!

Place people in the coach, QA and monitor positions who actually KNOW what they are doing! This place thrives on incompetence ! First rate line leads were let go for no reason ( or some made up BS) and replaced with know-nothings who just walked around yelling at people. The QA department lost a couple of first rate floor techs due to stress. The person who does the run schedule ( or did when I was there) does NOT know how to set up runs.

Invest in new machinery. I understand there is a shortage of hamsters.

Work like a robot.

Current Employee - Assembley Line in Claremont, NC
    Current Employee - Assembley Line in Claremont, NC

I have been working at AdvancePierre Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benifits nice frendly admosphere.

Cons

Working 7 days a week 9 hours a day.Too many Cheifs and not enough indians.Hateful machine operators can't even go to bathroom standing in one place 9 hours with only 2 breaks.

My advive would be to listen to your employees.Get organized consider doing shift teams so people can have some days off.People need jobs but they also need some family time!!!!!!!!Example of shift teams ab first shift A team Mon Tue Wed 12 hours ok B team Thur Fri Sat.Only use line 1-6 for A team then the night shift would be Cteam use lines 7-14 so sanitation could still get in there.And so forth around.There has to be a better solution then what is going on in there.You could always rotate Sundays between the teams.

There are newer employer reviews for AdvancePierre Foods