There are newer employer reviews for Advanced Technologies Group

Poor benefits, average salary, poor software development methodology

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  West Des Moines, IA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Advanced Technologies Group

Pros

I honestly can't think of any. Other than they pay you a small bonus ($1,000 to $2,500) for getting MS developer or Java developer certified. But you have to study on your own time, and take the test on your own time.

Cons

Skimpy vacation policy. Only 13 days. No personal days, and ATG recently eliminated sick leave altogether. if you are sick, you need to use a vacation day. Vacation maxes out at 18 days, again with no sick leave no matter how long you have worked for the company. No time off for funerals or grievance. Again, you need to use vacation days. Health insurance is mediocre, and expensive compared to other companies.

Development methodologies are a mess.Their idea of source code re-use is copy and paste. There is duplicate code all over the place. Also "That's just the way we do it around here" is the most common answer given for why you are supposed to write code a certain way, even if it makes no sense to write it that way, and it would be better, safer, and more efficient to write it another way.

Also, not much interaction with other coworkers. It's basically a "go to work, sit at your workstation, put in your eight hours, go home, repeat next day" kind of job.

High turnover. In the last couple of months, six developers have quit, from a company of only about 60 employees. When you have that much turnover in just a couple of months in such a small company, it would seem like it should be a clear indication to senior management that something is wrong. But so far, there have been no changes.

You claim that ATG is a family. Start practicing what you preach if you want to be able to hold on to talented developers. Make me want to work here. Eliminating sick leave and only offering 13 days of vacation, of which sick days, personal days., and grievance days must come out of would suggest you don't value your family all that much, and doesn't exactly make me want to work here. Find a way to encourage more "social bonding" between co-workers. Again, if this is a family, it's a very dysfunctional one given the "show up for work, sit at your desk, put in your eight hours, go home, repeat next day" boring routine.

3 Other Employee Reviews for Advanced Technologies Group (View Most Recent)

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Troy, MI

I have been working at Advanced Technologies Group

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. I have working with them since 5 years. They have treated me really good and never had any major issue with employer. I

Cons

Lack of Communication and visibility. Sometime its hard to raise your voice and if you call them they would not return your call unless you need them. Its has become little bit better now. actually management is good only HR people sucks.
    They are always busy in something that i dont know whats that. If you need anything it takes a while or you have to do thousand followups

Listen to Your Employees

It was a good place to start my career coming out of college.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Advanced Technologies Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They don't do layoffs. Once a month they bring everyone together & provide lunch & give company updates. Good location for the office. They don't do meetings.

Cons

Vacation time was not competitive. They don't want to give you vacation time when you start & it took too long to get more vacation time. Sick time was minimal. When I was there they only gave you 3 sick days a year. The cost of the health insurance was a bit high. Salary was not competitive. The team I was on developed their applications using old tools/tech.

There are newer employer reviews for Advanced Technologies Group

Worked for Advanced Technologies Group? Contribute to the Community!