Event Specialist at Mariano's

Current Employee - Event Specialist in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Event Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and good working conditions. Allows me to utilize my B.A. in communications and my experience in retail grocery (that's how I paid for college).

Cons

Still have to deal with store management.

Other Employee Reviews for Advantage Sales and Marketing

I do love working for this company, but not too much room to grow in the company.

Current Employee - Events Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Events Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We get paid hourly to sell products to people and not by commission, which is nice because I hate the "in your face" type of selling that is needed if you are paid by commission. This is a fun job if you like talking to people, learning and teaching people about products, and working in a sort of "laid back" workplace. This is a great job for someone who doesn't need a whole lot of hours, or someone who has another job. The shifts are pretty reasonable times. Usually 11:15am to 5:45pm but sometimes start as early as 10:15am and also as late as 12:15pm.

Cons

Only having one 30 min break a day, is not ideal but I can live with it. Sometimes the way we get scheduled for hours seems flawed, they have us as full time employees but the hours are only close to full time if it is around a holiday. Some weeks we have four or five days and the next weeks we might have only one or no days at all. It's not a steady pay check, which can be difficult at times. Not too many benefits. The starting pay is the pay we always get unless we become a lead, or become Food Safety Certified and both get us a fifty cents raises each.

Advice to Management

Check in on all the people more often

2. Strong company with unclear career paths

I worked at Advantage Sales and Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules. Lot of opportunities within the organization for those who are willing to relocate. Very good Paid time off program for a retail company.

Cons

There is little developmental support or career planning provided by management or the training department. Pay for the amount of work required on a managerial level is not commensurate with the time involved.

Advice to Management

Ensure employees are fully backed and supported by management.