A career starter

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Advent Software

Pros

Great culture and people. Balanced work-life environment where you will make a lot of great friends for a lifetime. A great place to start a career.

Cons

Salaries are not the greatest. Various levels of middle management.

Advice to Management

Encourage and sponsor innovation.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Solid company but room for improvement

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Advent Software

Pros

Advent is a place where you can grow. If you perform well you can move up the ladder quite quickly.

Cons

Advent doesn't listen to its sales staff regarding product improvements and functionality - we are on the front lines but development seems to do more or less what they want.

Advice to Management

In order to keep employees, they need to be given compensation increases which reward their longevity and value.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advent Software

Pros

Advent truly cares about its employees. The 2008 recession is a great example of this. Other companies had layoffs and salary cuts, Advent made minimal benefit cuts (fewer types of free milk in the kitchens, but the important stuff like salary, vacation, 401k matching, etc was intact). Merit increases were suspended for a year (and subsequently paid). Poor managers are not tolerated. When a poor manager is detected, senior managers actively coach the poor manager. If coaching fails, the manager is let go. The company continuously strives for improvement.

Cons

Their is a fairly clueless middle management layer that is entrusted with too much decision making power. Duplication of product lines is hampering growth and flexibility in the product suite.

Advice to Management

The company needs stronger direction. We are currently on track to be the old company that gets unseated by an upstart or a competitor with a smarter solution. We can't buyout our competitors forever.