Adventist Medical Center

AMC Portland

Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Phlebotomist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center

Pros

Great fellow employees. They've put a lot of money into improving the look of the hospital, which helps to make it a bit more pleasant to work in.

Cons

Poorly managed from top to bottom. Upper management gets its info from middle management who fails to support their employees and cares only about making themselves look good and promoting those whom they like on a personal level rather then those who are able to do the job best.

Advice to Management

Aim higher. Recently AMC took a look at other hospitals and decided they were too good and needed to "head for the middle" - new AMC slogan, "Striving for Mediocrity."

reviews filtered by
  1. Employees are great! Then there is the leadership or lack of.

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center

Pros

Best employees and hospitalist physicians of anywhere I have worked. You won't find more genuine people anywhere else. Lots of opportunity if you are Adventist.

Cons

Unless you are Adventist, you can only hold certain positions. Senior leadership is very out of touch with the employees. There is very little transparency between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Employees and good managers are scared to speak up for risk of retaliation. Try removing the "Adventist only" positions and you may get more qualified employees (we know you don't post them like this, but we are all aware this is the case). Build a relationship with the employees! They can offer great ideas and save the company a lot of money if you just develop a true relationship with them. Be more open with the employees. We will respect you more if we know what is going on.

2. A culture focused on mission and values. Overall, a great place to work!

I have been working at Adventist Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMC cares about me as person. Committed to supporting and responding to the needs of all team members. Mission and values are modeled in interactions and decision-making. Great opportunities to learn, grow, and share input.

Cons

Busy and ever-changing environment based on the healthcare landscape. Difficult but necessary to thrive.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain transparency and ensure communication occurs at all levels of the organization. Take steps to empower decision making and maintain accountability of leaders and staff. Greatly appreciate the dedication and commitment of our team to ensure we are improving processes and systems to drive high quality patient care.

Adventist Medical Center Response

Mar 12, 2015Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling fulfilled in your work here.

You're thoughts on the ever-changing healthcare environment are insightful. We'll continue to
    ... More