Advertising Research Foundation

www.thearf.org
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Advertising Research Foundation

I am proud of the work I do at the ARF, however the senior management is abominable in their treatment of employees.

I have been working at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

There is an opportunity to dig deep into the field and meet a host of smart, engaged industry experts. The ARF includes an intellectual aspect, which is stimulating and satisfying. There is a bond among the employees.

Cons

The senior management's motto is guilty until proven innocent, i.e., there is no trust in the ability of employees to spearhead projects and make them successful. Micro-management, mixed messages and arbitrary praise and criticism is par for the course. Thanks to the leaders of this organization, there is a culture of fear, which causes wide-spread anxiety. Confusion about roles and responsibilities and blame as a consequence permeates the environment.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do a good job! You hired us for a reason and we are intelligent, motivated individuals who are dedicated to making the ARF thrive. Promote people based on merit and create some middle management positions and empower those people. You will be amazed at the results and the improved atmosphere.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A challenging place to work...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

The ARF offers great opportunities to address today's biggest challenges in the advertising research industry. The opportunities are there and so are the challenges. Generally a strong community of peers. Good networking opportunities. Summer Fridays.

Cons

There is no strategy or plan for the organization. It runs by the whim of the CEO making it very difficult to be productive and feel a sense of accomplishment. Money seems to be the driving force behind every decision. For a non-profit foundation, it's run more like a "trading room floor" on Wall Street or a fundraising operation. I don't think many people there bought into that concept when they signed on. I know I didn't.

Advice to Management

Get back to the core mission of the organization. Focus on delivering value not extracting money. Create an environment of respect and professionalism.

Room for Improvement

I have been working at Advertising Research Foundation

Pros

The majority of the ARF staff are intelligent, hardworking and friendly. The company affords great exposure to the industry and is a wonderful learning environment.

Cons

There is no clear direction from senior management, and morale is very low. Employees are hired and fired with at will with no notice and little apparent regard for the person's ability or desire to do the job. This creates a culture of fear and is prohibitive to teamwork and productivity.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and have confidence in their abilities to do the jobs they were hired to do. Directives should be consistent and criticism should be productive rather than derogatory.