Advisory Board

www.advisory.com

Boiler room with high turnover - proceed with caution.

Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMost new marketing associates and other entry-level employees at ABC are motivated, young professionals that are eager to start their careers and make it in DC. One of the benefits of working in a stressful environment is that it provides a great bonding atmosphere. This is great, especially if you're new to the DC area. Even after leaving some time ago, I still keep in touch with former colleagues.

ConsEverything about ABC has already been said on this website, but in a nutshell, success is far too situational. You could be working on a new product with an excellent director (a.k.a. travelling salesman) with a decent number of leads, and as long as you put in the effort, you will be fine. Conversely, you could wind up with a old product with no leads and essentially be set up for failure. Metrics are poorly designed, which is probably the most significant factor contributing to the high turnover.

Due to the tough economy and large supply of qualified recent college grads, management has no regard for the high turnover. If you don't hit your numbers, expect to be quickly shown the door.

If you're serious about a career in sales, ABC has one of the most aggressive sales training programs in the DC area, making it worth a look. If you're not serious about sales, and are only looking at a marketing associate position at ABC because you're tired of using your degree to wait tables, are desperate to avoid moving back in with mom and dad, or can no longer keep going with the unpaid internship endurance competition that is DC, proceed with caution! I was in the latter position, but hey - a man's got to make a living.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management of this company astounds me. They seem to be completely obilivious to the fact that the high turnover has been tarnishing the reputation of their company for years. In most interviews I've had post ABC, most prospective employers can't help but to joke about the "factory" environment.

What goes around comes around, and sooner or later, your practices may not only hurt your reputation but also your bottom line. Plus, someday, the economy will improve (maybe?) and you won't have as large a supply of recent college graduates to take advantage of. Focusing on investing in your entry-level hires and understanding the demands of the MA position could do wonders.

Powerful place to make an impact in healthcare

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Very customer focused; great place to learn fantastic service Sales and marketing is executed at a very high level and provides an opportunity to learn… Cons: Matrix organization structure makes for a fluid environment of management that can be difficult for some positions The high growth makes the environment somewhat… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good exposure and flexibility, but workload is nearly impossible

Account Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Depending on the team you work on, you often have the opportunity to travel,… Cons: hire very young, inexperienced college grads and then pile the work and responsibility on top of… Advice to Senior Management: need more transparency with regard to changes happening within various… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Advisory Board.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!