Good Company to Work For

Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Dedicated Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, culture, career advancement, benefits

Cons

The main con is non-competative salary

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great contract employer

Current Contractor - Producer Reporter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Producer Reporter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Advisory Board as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't say enough good things about the professional standards of the editorial and administrative staff at the Advisory Board Company. They are extremely knowledgeable about health care policy and IT. They give me a lot of independence as a contract reporter and trust my news judgment and story ideas but they are always there to offer editorial support and guidance. They are thorough when editing scripts and they always check facts -- something that’s drifted out of practice in many online publications. They always maintain a respectful and appreciative attitude towards the reporters.

Cons

They are based in Washington, D.C. so they have few staff positions in San Francisco.

Advice to Management

I would encourage more integration of video and graphics into their online stories. Though that isn't always their call.

Boiler room with high turnover - proceed with caution.

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most new marketing associates and other entry-level employees at ABC are motivated, young professionals that are eager to start their careers and make it in DC. One of the benefits of working in a stressful environment is that it provides a great bonding atmosphere. This is great, especially if you're new to the DC area. Even after leaving some time ago, I still keep in touch with former colleagues.

Cons

Everything about ABC has already been said on this website, but in a nutshell, success is far too situational. You could be working on a new product with an excellent director (a.k.a. travelling salesman) with a decent number of leads, and as long as you put in the effort, you will be fine. Conversely, you could wind up with a old product with no leads and essentially be set up for failure. Metrics are poorly designed, which is probably the most significant factor contributing to the high turnover.

Due to the tough economy and large supply of qualified recent college grads, management has no regard for the high turnover. If you don't hit your numbers, expect to be quickly shown the door.

If you're serious about a career in sales, ABC has one of the most aggressive sales training programs in the DC area, making it worth a look. If you're not serious about sales, and are only looking at a marketing associate position at ABC because you're tired of using your degree to wait tables, are desperate to avoid moving back in with mom and dad, or can no longer keep going with the unpaid internship endurance competition that is DC, proceed with caution! I was in the latter position, but hey - a man's got to make a living.

Advice to Management

The management of this company astounds me. They seem to be completely obilivious to the fact that the high turnover has been tarnishing the reputation of their company for years. In most interviews I've had post ABC, most prospective employers can't help but to joke about the "factory" environment.

What goes around comes around, and sooner or later, your practices may not only hurt your reputation but also your bottom line. Plus, someday, the economy will improve (maybe?) and you won't have as large a supply of recent college graduates to take advantage of. Focusing on investing in your entry-level hires and understanding the demands of the MA position could do wonders.