Advisory Board

www.advisory.com
  www.advisory.com
There are newer employer reviews for Advisory Board

Good enough...and sometimes even better!

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Advisory Board is incredibly generous (compared to similar employers in the DC area) when it comes to PTO allowances. Entry-level staff have 20 days at their disposal and I've already been bumped to 25 with options to earn extra days off.

Excellent growth potential for young employees. This piece is huge, when half of your college graduating class has immediately jumped into Grad School/Law School without any job prospects. Employees who are successful early in their tenure can expect to see plenty of doors opening up in their first 18 months.

Great culture. The firm evaluates candidates on their cultural fit and personality, resulting in a fun and dynamic young workforce. While this can sometimes be a drawback, I can state from experience that I've made some great friends here

Flexibility. Management has granted me the freedom to work remotely on days when I have no face-to-face meetings on the calendar. While technically it is an 8:30-5:30 work day, my team has always been supportive when someone needs to pick their kids up at school, go to a Dr. Appt, etc.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive and appear to be stuck in the year 2000. This company is on the front lines of middle class wage stagnation. Understanding that it's a recession and an employer's job market, this is understandable, but DC is expensive!

A cultural con is the lack of punctuality and traditional professionalism. Meetings begin 10-15 minutes late due to serial tardiness, and managers are among the worst offenders, hurting accountability. Employees, both senior and junior need to learn to put down their smartphones and pay attention!

Boost compensation to reflect cost of living. Our main offices are in DC and San Francisco, where home prices are absurd. Don't push your wonderful and talented staff to make difficult economic decisions when we really want to stay.

282 Other Employee Reviews for Advisory Board (View Most Recent)

Great environment to learn and gain invaluable experience at the start of your marketing career

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Advisory Board full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive, energetic, young, smart body of marketers.

Cons

Can be difficult to get promoted, incredibly low pay, a little favoritism among a select group of MA's, a little unprofessional, slightly inappropriate environment develops when you drink, work, play with your colleagues so closely.

Innovative

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

One can find mentors and embrace a young culture on the cutting-edge of health care. Lots of responsibility and experience with hospital executives. Full of growth.

Cons

An incentive culture dictates business needs but does not make member needs always; senior leadership thinks happy hours and booze cruises should take the place of merit-based bonuses. Apparently, it used to be a meritocracy.

Pay people fairly; there's an inequity of work. ABC lifers should make way for talented external hires. End the incentive culture. It's health care!

There are newer employer reviews for Advisory Board