There are newer employer reviews for Advisory Board

Good enough...and sometimes even better!

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Advisory Board is incredibly generous (compared to similar employers in the DC area) when it comes to PTO allowances. Entry-level staff have 20 days at their disposal and I've already been bumped to 25 with options to earn extra days off.

Excellent growth potential for young employees. This piece is huge, when half of your college graduating class has immediately jumped into Grad School/Law School without any job prospects. Employees who are successful early in their tenure can expect to see plenty of doors opening up in their first 18 months.

Great culture. The firm evaluates candidates on their cultural fit and personality, resulting in a fun and dynamic young workforce. While this can sometimes be a drawback, I can state from experience that I've made some great friends here

Flexibility. Management has granted me the freedom to work remotely on days when I have no face-to-face meetings on the calendar. While technically it is an 8:30-5:30 work day, my team has always been supportive when someone needs to pick their kids up at school, go to a Dr. Appt, etc.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive and appear to be stuck in the year 2000. This company is on the front lines of middle class wage stagnation. Understanding that it's a recession and an employer's job market, this is understandable, but DC is expensive!

A cultural con is the lack of punctuality and traditional professionalism. Meetings begin 10-15 minutes late due to serial tardiness, and managers are among the worst offenders, hurting accountability. Employees, both senior and junior need to learn to put down their smartphones and pay attention!

Advice to Management

Boost compensation to reflect cost of living. Our main offices are in DC and San Francisco, where home prices are absurd. Don't push your wonderful and talented staff to make difficult economic decisions when we really want to stay.

reviews filtered by
  1. Innovative

I have been working at Advisory Board

Pros

One can find mentors and embrace a young culture on the cutting-edge of health care. Lots of responsibility and experience with hospital executives. Full of growth.

Cons

An incentive culture dictates business needs but does not make member needs always; senior leadership thinks happy hours and booze cruises should take the place of merit-based bonuses. Apparently, it used to be a meritocracy.

Advice to Management

Pay people fairly; there's an inequity of work. ABC lifers should make way for talented external hires. End the incentive culture. It's health care!

2. A very young workforce - for better or worse

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great place to gain professional experience right out of school. Lots of happy hours, jeans casual Fridays, and opportunities to volunteer.

Cons

The pay is below market average, and DC (headquarters) is super expensive. I imagine anyone old enough to want to buy a home will move on for better salary, who might otherwise have stayed. The youth of the firm can also be a drawback, as the associates right out of undergraduate school really do not know how to behave professionally. Also, middle management is equally young and inexperienced, and they seem to be promoted based on fit (read: clique) than professionalism or readiness.

Advice to Management

Drive professionalism from the top town. The happy hours and occasional jeans days are great, but the super young and under-qualified middle management is not. Start training entry-level staff and everyone in between on being professional. If you don't, you will lose top-quality talent to competitors with more mature staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Advisory Board