There are newer employer reviews for Advisory Board

A decent place to learn

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great organization for entry level positions, as there are formal infrastructures in place that support learning and help recent graduates understand a strong business model. If you work hard, you can succeed - most of the time. If you are a fraternity / sorority kind of person, the culture will be a perfect fit. The work that ABC does is quite powerful and brings true value to members.

Cons

Many young people get promoted (far too quickly) to leadership roles, which is good if you are looking to climb the ladder quickly, but not so great if you have any level of experience prior to joining the firm. Being a meritocracy, softer skills are often undervalued. If you are not a fraternity / sorority type of person, you will probably find the "culture" to be... hard to fit into.

Measure people more on the overall value they bring and less on the hard numbers.

253 Other Employee Reviews for Advisory Board (View Most Recent)

Good Entry-level position

Current Employee - Marketing Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity for growth, internal internships, young company

Cons

Transitions are not very smooth, constantly changing environment

Good enough...and sometimes even better!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Advisory Board is incredibly generous (compared to similar employers in the DC area) when it comes to PTO allowances. Entry-level staff have 20 days at their disposal and I've already been bumped to 25 with options to earn extra days off.

Excellent growth potential for young employees. This piece is huge, when half of your college graduating class has immediately jumped into Grad School/Law School without any job prospects. Employees who are successful early in their tenure can expect to see plenty of doors opening up in their first 18 months.

Great culture. The firm evaluates candidates on their cultural fit and personality, resulting in a fun and dynamic young workforce. While this can sometimes be a drawback, I can state from experience that I've made some great friends here

Flexibility. Management has granted me the freedom to work remotely on days when I have no face-to-face meetings on the calendar. While technically it is an 8:30-5:30 work day, my team has always been supportive when someone needs to pick their kids up at school, go to a Dr. Appt, etc.

Cons

Salaries are not competitive and appear to be stuck in the year 2000. This company is on the front lines of middle class wage stagnation. Understanding that it's a recession and an employer's job market, this is understandable, but DC is expensive!

A cultural con is the lack of punctuality and traditional professionalism. Meetings begin 10-15 minutes late due to serial tardiness, and managers are among the worst offenders, hurting accountability. Employees, both senior and junior need to learn to put down their smartphones and pay attention!

Boost compensation to reflect cost of living. Our main offices are in DC and San Francisco, where home prices are absurd. Don't push your wonderful and talented staff to make difficult economic decisions when we really want to stay.

There are newer employer reviews for Advisory Board

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!