Advisory Board

www.advisory.com

Great place to start your career and get a ton of experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAdvisory Board is filled with hard-working, young professionals. It's mostly kids right out of college, but if you work hard and prove your value, you can move up in the organization. Advisory Board allows you to take on management roles at a younger age than most companies. The company also promotes professional growth through individual development plans and "stretch roles". If you have a good manager, you can discuss where you want to take your career and that person should be able to scope the work to help you achieve your personal career goals. That may include changing roles within the organization. Once you are in the door, and you prove that you're a strong employee, there is flexibility to move to different departments and take on more responsibilities. One of the biggest pros at The Advisory Board is the people. Employees are really nice, helpful, and personable. Plus, if you are an employee over a certain number of years, you get 25 days PTO and 10 holidays off - that amount of paid vacation is totally unheard of these days. Depending on your manager, work-from-home/remote working is also a possibility, depending on the position.

ConsThere's high turnover at the Advisory Board because there is an extremely high performance expectation. This is a pro because kids right out of college are able to learn discipline, work ethic, and understand how a large, for-profit business is so successful. However, I see why employees leave due to burn out. I don't agree with all management styles and decisions (I've had 6 managers during my tenure with the firm) and I think the way the Advisory Board evaluates performance is a bit degrading. There is a ton of overhead at the company, and getting things done in a timely fashion tends to get frustrating due to bottlenecks, multiple competing opinions, and "too many cooks in the kitchen" for decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are going in the right direction with employee appreciation - half days every Friday in July (in addition to massive amounts of PTO), happy hours, and incentives like iPads. I think you should keep this up if you want to retain employees and show them that they are doing great work. Although this would never happen, it would be great to change up some parts of the review process. Career committee might be one of the most difficult things to have to go through - as a manager or as a direct report. It feels like a frat/sorority rush the way performance evaluations take place at the company. I wish there were a way to decrease overhead and allow for more streamlined decision-making, but that's the cost of working at a large company like this.

Director

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good Benefits. Young, energetic work force. Recognition on Merit. Washington DC headquarters is located in a… Cons: Low salaries compared to other similar firms in DC. Inexperienced managers.… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on employee retention as turnover is in the double… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great environment, great people--but cut corners with pay for younger staff (i.e., most employees)

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at Advisory Board full-time for more than a year

Pros: Meritocracy, with much faster promotion projections than other healthcare firms. They definitely understand what it takes to grow a business--innovation… Cons: They hire young and unexperienced but capable people. But they pay us based on experience, not on how hard we work.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Advisory Board.

Worked for Advisory Board? Contribute to the Community!