There are newer employer reviews for Aegon USA

Aegon - Senior Accountant

Former Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Aegon USA

Pros

benefits, benefits, benefits. Benefits were much much better than any other place I have worked. Great vacation time, health insurance, retirement plan, etc. Good about making employees feel like they are appreciated. Salary was decent, and I enjoyed summer hours. My department was great, I have heard there is a lot of variation between departments. Very flexible with hours, etc.

Cons

Very large company, my position was somewhat boring. Not enough to keep busy. Hard to get your hands around the company as a whole.

None really

44 Other Employee Reviews for Aegon USA (View Most Recent)

AEGON is a great place for software developers.

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I have been working at Aegon USA

Pros

My role as a developer has a low stress factor, with no on-call pager or extra work beyond my eight-hour shift. Hours are flexible, and my boss has given me lots of freedom in exploring alternative technologies to employ in projects. I receive ample recognition for work performed, including financial incentives (a 10% bonus every year for the last 5 years!).

While I haven't explored other careers or growth within the company, many co-workers have had great success in upward mobility. Overall, this is a great company to work for, with professional talent and dedication to the job. It's the best job I've had in my short, 10 year IT career.

Cons

On the technical front, there is a burdensome, red-tape bureaucracy of change control management in place, which sometimes frustrates developers and makes it seem like no work will ever be accomplished. While change control is certainly an important part of software development, many of my co-workers feel it has been taken to an unhealthy extreme at AEGON.

Communication from upper management is sometimes lacking, with co-workers discovering news by word-of-mouth. Not regarding major, company-wide financial press releases, mind you. But sometimes people within a department mysteriously disappear without much explanation. That type of human resource management could be better handled, in my opinion.

Don't change much! This is a great place to work! However, the change management process, particularly regarding software development, should be overhauled, so that smaller projects do not incur as much overhead.

Don't come here

I worked at Aegon USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you want to shine among mediocre people

Cons

Very political. Dutch CEO only wants his friends in key positions.

Have board of directors stop the nepotism

There are newer employer reviews for Aegon USA

Worked for Aegon USA? Contribute to the Community!