AeroVironment

www.avinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for AeroVironment

Opinions

I worked at AeroVironment

Pros

The projects are innovative and exciting to be a part of; AeroVironment has been a leader in thier niche and received a number of awards.

Cons

AeroVironment rarely promotes from within; communications are not handled well; project deadlines are established by sales without regard to established timelines creating unnecessary fire drils and unhappy customers. Personal performance is not assessed by direct managers but rather by personnel who are unfamiliar with job descriptions, company projects and actual performance of individuals.

AV appears to be suffering from growing pains going from a small research company trying to compete with "the big boys." It appears certain decisions are being made for the immediate gain of top personnel rather than the long term growth, sustainability and profits for the company and employees.

55 Other Employee Reviews for AeroVironment (View Most Recent)

A review from a satisfied employee

Current Employee - Engineer in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I read all the reviews and as a current employee that has been at AV for 10 years, I feel it paints an unfair picture of the work environment. From an engineering standpoint, AeroVironment has an atmosphere that fosters innovation and creativity, without the layers of red tape that one would expect from a large aerospace company. I’m surrounded by brilliant engineers who understand how to practically apply their knowledge.

In regards to reviews claiming that all of the talented employees have left the company, I would advise a quick conversation with any of our functional managers (Electrical, Software, Mechanical, Aerospace, etc.). I guarantee that you’ll want to get out the engineering books and study after having a discussion with one of our technical experts. The managers at AV keep up with the latest technologies and encourage continued learning to stay ahead of the competition.

It’s true that employees put in extra hours at AV, but it’s rarely mandated. Most put in the hours to accomplish technical feats, and learn new skills. The projects are fast-paced, and I've seen drawings turn into functional prototypes in a few months. I’ll end this by saying that even when I have a bad day at AV, I eventually realize that I get paid to develop flying robots, enough said.

Cons

I’m going to leave this as a positive review. I don’t currently have any significant issues with the company.

Rewarding

I have been working at AeroVironment full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging, demanding and rewarding work. We build products that are immediately relevant to the world around us.

Cons

The company is becoming very top-heavy, we are abandoning our roots as a technology and engineering innovation company to become a (publicly traded) aerospace firm. This creates a lot of inertia and with a known company policy of discouraging promotion, it creates a sense of futility.

Stop trying to be a big company.

There are newer employer reviews for AeroVironment