There are newer employer reviews for Aerojet Rocketdyne

Good company with interesting work, expensive location compared to the much of the nation.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aerojet Rocketdyne develops a wide variety of systems, so there is a possibility that you can work on lots of projects. Great people to work with who are willing to help.

Cons

Many projects are dependent on the government and so you spend lots of time on a project, then it gets cancelled. It is difficult to not get pigeon-holed into single job functions or projects for many years.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. It isn't as good as I hoped, but it's still a decent job.

Current Employee - Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I get to work with some very experienced, intelligent, and passionate professionals.
    The company has had very few layoffs while I have worked for it. Management works hard to find jobs for people when they are not needed in their primary functions.
    Generous amount of vacation time
    9/80 work schedule gives every other Friday off
    Friendly environment

Cons

Management and customers leave many engineers feeling stifled and unable to change things.
    Human Resources restrictions can delay promotions for many people, even for the high performers.
    Salary is alright for single people without children, but leave most people feeling dissatisfied.
    There are a lot of Type A personalities with a tenacity for criticism. It can be constructive, but it can also cause hostility and defensiveness among coworkers.
    Many feel that several programs and the company overall have too much upper management, and that it comes at a cost to paying the workers what they deserve.
    As of early 2014, the company is still working to integrate legacy Aerojet and legacy Rocketdyne together, so patience is required with organizational changes.

Advice to Management

I appreciate that times are tough overall for the industry, but I encourage you to invest more resources into trying out employees ideas for new technology. There are always risks, but it is good for morale for the company to be willing to take chances for employees to prove themselves.

2. Limited opportunity

Current Employee - Engineering in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Aerojet Rocketdyne full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had competent and fun coworkers

Cons

Lots of beurocracy and meetings and useless busy work

Advice to Management

It is your job to make the engineering easier but you always seem to make it harder.