There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

The best position I have had thus far

Current Employee - Professional in Blue Bell, PA
Current Employee - Professional in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

best tech support and equipment

Cons

physical plant needs a redo building improvements

On the right track keep it up

560 Other Employee Reviews for Aetna (View Most Recent)

A good place to start out of collage.

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna

Pros

The interview is very easy because no technical questions were asked the entire time.
    The work schedule is flexible. I was able to show up whenever I wanted and leave whenever I wanted as long as I attended the meetings and I got my work done.
    Every one is allowed to work from home, wether you need a couple of hours, a couple of days, or full time at home (from any state in the US).
    Aetna offers free classes to help with personal/retirement finances.

Cons

Almost all of the people who actually do all of the coding and testing are based out of India.
    Almost all of the project management, developers, and QA people are either consultants or from the outsourcing companies. The team I last worked on started with 4 employee developers and 20 offshore developers. When I left it was 2 employee developers and 24 offshore developers. This makes collaboration and maintaining code standards near impossible.
    IT at Aetna is a lot like working for a consulting company where the business department will ask you for a change to some application, you will cost it out, and then it is up to the people from the business department to decide if they want to move forward and pay for the change. This means that there are no improvements to the code / infrastructure unless it is directly coming from a business department (or the application breaks).
    There are few perks to working in any of the offices. There are no free food / drinks, no free gym, no free recreation room, or useful services (to someone under 30)
    You have to pay for parking in the Aetna owned parking lots.

Stop outsourcing all of the development / QA work. Just because you hate making jobs in the US do not take it out on the few full time employee developer that exist in the company. Since I have worked at Aetna (started in 2005) the overall quality of the applications and my understanding of how applications / systems work has gone down because Aetna as a whole is not looking for talent, but for lowest cost people. The quality of the developers I work with is so low that we spend 25% - 50% of the time and money changing what was already created because it was not done correctly.

Great company...for the investors and senior management. OK for everyone else.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

Employee Resource Groups are highly encouraged and touted. The Office of Diversity works hard in regards to public relations with the employees. The people here are mostly positive and easy to work with.

Cons

As many companies now, there are an inordinate amount of people under single team leads, which can negatively effect meaningful feedback. There have been round after round of layoffs in the past 5-6 years, so unless you are production or a CSR you'll be worried about security. Medical benefits are offered, but aren't as good as you'd hope - the high deductible plans are moderatly priced, but these aren't HMOs.

Let's chill with all the re-orgs and actually change the culture. You'll get more productivity with stability and an appropriate culture instead of constant change, upheaval, and bottom-dollar culture.

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna