There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Working at Aetna

Former Employee - Business Project Program Manager  in  Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Business Project Program Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Highly diversity focused, large percentage of telework opportunities, financially stable, culture of high performance - easy to be proud to work for this employer.

Cons

Difficult to obtain large increases in salary once hired - bonuses are sometimes used to compensate for this. High likelihood of lay-offs yearly - when hired, be sure chosen position is a high-need / in-demand role.

Keep pushing for improved process focus.

534 Other Employee Reviews for Aetna (View Most Recent)

Overall Experience is fulfilling

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate  in  Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Aetna does provide for some of better benefits that I have seen. In an age where the cost of coverage is constantly on the increase, and individuals are asked to may more of their share, at Aetna your share is pretty comparable to what it would be elsewhere. As they are an insurance company you can find work in almost any state, and at any position.

Cons

There are a couple of cons that I can give, that I can think of, and one would be the vacation table. You get an increase of your tine after being there for four years, but then there are no further increases until you are there 20 years. The other one that I can think of would be the salary. The hook here that they offer you a generous salary to start, but then the increases are not so generous.

As there are different entities associated with Aetna, such as Active Health Management, please be mindful of what the people in these groups have to say. Also, please be open minded to any constructive criticism that comes from the rank and file individuals.

A caustic work environment

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting pay is decent very competitive based on customer service salaries at other companies. The training is thorough and comprehensive. Most coworkers are friendly.

Cons

No advancement opportunities (even lateral transfers) whatsoever. Performance metrics are unreasonable and inconsistent. Benefits package is terrible. Near constant negativity from management. On several occasions we (as a team) were told "this is the job. If you don't like it, go work somewhere else."

Listen to what the employees say on the annual survey and make changes that will positively affect the work environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!