Actuarial Consultant

Current Employee - Actuarial Consultant  in  Hartford, CT
Current Employee - Actuarial Consultant in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company to work for if you want a layback job until you retire.

Cons

Hard to get chances to move to a higher level.

Other Reviews for Aetna

Seems to be getting better

Current Employee - Customer Service Provider  in  Blue Bell, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Provider in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities for advancement; caring company; lots of employee resource groups (clubs) and on-site fitness centers. Lots of telecommuting positions.

Cons

Insular - lots of internal promotions and not a lot of new blood. Doesn't always reward promotions with pay increases, you can be paid lower than the specified range for your position.

Value your employees and pay for performance, not tenure.

Decent Place To Work.....If Your Not In The Call Center

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Allentown, PA

I worked at Aetna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, PTO,, Some of the benefits, business casual attire,

Cons

Call Volume- During the interview they did make me aware a of calls being "back to back" but I didn't think that I would be taking close to 140 calls a day. In fact we lost alot of people during our training because of the call volume. They were right about it being "back to back" because you would literally get off one call just take another right after. I think there was one time while I was there, i took 100 calls but that was only because it was holiday and most doctor offices were closed. What was bad that you could not even take a break in between calls. I remember being sent a department email because too many people were taking break between high call volume. Also were were expected to complete off line time work in between calls which was virtually impossible most times as well. The metric system that they expected us to reach was unreasonable and nearly impossible, As a result, very few people actually received quarterly bonus"s.

Time Off- Maybe the rest of the company was different but when it came to the call center, time off was near impossible. You couldn't just put in a day for PTO and have it off. Alot of the time there was a "waiting list" to have certain days off, especially through the months of May and Aug. If you couldn't get the day off, you would of been forced to just take it off which would you usually result with you getting what they call an "occurrence". Too many of these (7 in a 12 month period for your first year) would eventually lead to disciplinary action. All I have to say is if your not too sick and you can still come to work, do so.

Heath Insurance- Don't get me wrong the coverage was great but it was pretty pricey in my opinion.

Advancement: I would say that advancement was there but it was extremely difficult. Alot of people I knew that spent years in that call center environment had no luck getting out and if they did it was because they sought employment elsewhere

Realize that we are human and not robots. While yes, I do understand that its a call center and it can be very demanding, you should allow flexibility for time off to help people with the stress of that environment.

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna.

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!