There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Getting better under Mark Bertolini, but still a ways to go

Former Employee - Claim Benefit Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Claim Benefit Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They seem to be taking a new active interest in creating avenues for employees to give their feedback. Who knows if they listen to it or do anything with it, they still need to improve on their communication.
I think they are positioning themselves correctly by being more open to things like social media. With HCR, the market will shift to a consumer driven one, and we need to be accessible to customers.
They have many different employee resource groups that I learned a lot from!

Cons

I really enjoyed my job, but I had to move to help care for an ill family member. They used to have an office in my new city, but they closed it and sent everyone to work from home. Of my unit of 20, I was one of two who worked in the office.
Frank Cobbin, one of the leaders in my reporting line, is more concerned with percentages and numbers than employees. Currently, more people in his reporting line work from home than he likes.... so he stopped allowing telework positions. He stated that people didn't want to take promotions if it meant returning to work in the office, and that the people in the office missed out on learning opportunities because they sent their best and brightest to work from home.

In a town hall he agreed working from home was great for employee retention and it was something people considered a benefit, much like insurance, because of the added value working
 from home brought. This company doesn't offer the richest benefits otherwise, and flexible work arrangements were one of the few incentives.

I was one of the top performers in my unit, even though I had only been there two years. I always went above and beyond my job description, and my supervisor never had anything but amazing things to say about my work during our one on one meetings. I wanted to keep working there, my manager and department wanted me to keep working there, but because of upper managements inflexibility and seeing employees as numbers instead of people, I had to end my employment with Aetna.

Treat your employees with respect, and if they have shown loyalty and gone above and beyond... do the same for them in a time of need.

564 Other Employee Reviews for Aetna (View Most Recent)

Former Director at Aetna Shares Experience

Former Employee - Director Level in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Director Level in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make a decent living.

Cons

Customer does not come first. Most "political" company I have ever worked at. Some very poor managers throughout company.

Truly focus on the customer. Too disconnected from reality at the top. Employee survey is a joke, as managers can find out who said what especially in smaller divisions, so no one is honest for fear of losing their job.

Fulfillment is dependent on having a great manager, not the actual work

Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Strategic Planner in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-work/life balance
    -tons of opportunities to move upwardly and laterally if you work in headquarters

Cons

At an organization with 30,000+ employees, it's a crapshoot on whether you'll land in a fulfilling job with a great manager. I hit both at my first job at Aetna. But when it came to my second job, what looked like a promotion in business operations, actually turned out to be a dud.
    Also, it is super boring, especially if you work in headquarters, where the culture is stuffy and conservative.

Develop your best talent! Groom them, give them stretch assignments, introduce them -- help them grow!

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna