There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Frantic and Friendly

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Plantation, FL
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Plantation, FL

I have been working at Aetna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall organization has a number of things well thought out, systems used for job function are organized and easy to learn, but have a lot of features. Good benefit package compared to others (Mind you the past 3 employers I've had have been a high deductible plan $1200 and a Health Savings Account to help offset the deductible), particularly in the area of 401k and investment benefits. For an individual with 401k, health, dental, vision, pension, and my monthly contribution is $50 I think thats quite good. Aetna appears to be looking out for the future retirement of it's employees. Systems access was virtually all ready when I walked in the door. Everyone from the security staff to other employees and supervisors are all very friendly. Cafeteria with hot breakfast and lunch (although not cheap) and closes quickly.

Cons

A very difficult system to navigate if you are trying to find information on benefits, hr policy, or IT issues. When your personal things have a hiccup (from access not working properly, to locating details on benefits or hr policy) it's difficult to get an answer or find a resource from their network. Things appear to be slapped together and don't seem to have a apparent way to understand the internal sites. The layout is all question based, but if the question samples don't fit your scenario nothing appears to be capable of being navigated by hierarchy. Trying to figure out where to go to submit my timecard the first week was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Building parking is a nightmare over 1/4 of the parking lot is rented out to a neighboring building, but rarely is anyone ever in those spaces which happen to be the closest to the entrance. Also after early morning, all entries to the parking lot are blocked off except by the area with the parking that can't be used. As if to taunt you for not getting a early morning schedule because you have to drive past all the road cones to enter and then drive past all the empty spaces that can't be used to park back by the road cones that you just drove by.

Don't allow the organizational mood to slip with growth or changes. A more comprehensive explanation of the intra-web or more obvious organization to the layout will help new employees hit the ground running. Explanation of what employee resources are available from outside the company network would be very useful. Some things like the parking seem ridiculous, indoctrination to the organizational network is lacking. Accessing resources for a new employee makes the organization appear dysfunctional. (Even existing employees go in circles trying to find resources) Ensure that internal sites are kept updated or are decommissioned.

540 Other Employee Reviews for Aetna (View Most Recent)

Great benefits & resources available. Strict policies, somewhat big brotherish.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Aetna full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of programs available to employees, great benefits, very health & wellness driven. Great training.

Cons

Very strict policies, and quite a "clock puncher" attitude from most employees in mid level positions or lower.

Take feedback from everyday employees regarding their supervisors and higher ups and make it anonymous to avoid problems.

Potential for wide open opportunity.

Current Employee - Plan Coordination Consult
    Current Employee - Plan Coordination Consult

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are good to their work-at-home staff, and there are many opportunities to WAH. My managers have also been 100% supportive of my growth and have maintained true open door policies. Aetna is also committed to encouraging and enabling their employees to live healthier lives with various wellness incentives and reimbursements. There is a really good fringe benefits package overall, even if the health insurance itself leaves something to be desired.

Cons

It can be difficult to find other opportunities within the company, especially if one is in a smaller or specialized area such as EAP. Many enterprise-wide systems aren't used in these specialty product divisions, and without that knowledge the chances to expand into other areas is VERY limited. In regards to the health insurance mentioned earlier, we only have a choice between (basically) two high deductible health plans. While I'm grateful for this option as a relatively healthy individual who has no chronic conditions, I resent not even having the choice to pay a higher premium with a lower out-of-pocket cost. Also, more and more "perks" are being taken away, the most recent being the sudden decision to end the policy of offering more PTO to employees with 25+ years of service. It felt like a punishment to the most loyal and enduring employees, and I'm not even one of them!

People are unhappy with the health insurance and mention it in every survey they get a chance to take. Listen to that. Provide more options.

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!