There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Turning the Titanic

Current Employee - IT Product Manager
Current Employee - IT Product Manager

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Historically Aetna is a financially solid company and generally well respected in the health insurance / payer industry (which, buy it's nature, is viewed by most as a "necessary evil"). Aetna's current leadership, namely Mark Bertolini, understands that we can not rest on our 160 year-old 'laurels". In order to survive in the new world of health care and health insurance we need to evolve. That may mean that the company may look very different in 5-10 years than it does now.

Aetna has become largely a "virtual company" with many people working remotely or from home. This can provide a lot of flexibility and work-life balance.

Cons

There is a good risk that Aetna's sheer mass will prevent it from being agile enough to make the changes necessary to survive. There is also a risk that Aetna may need to get to a point where they need to "jettison" the legacy baggage that is holding it back. That would mean substantial layoffs.

The vision is a good one. Don't be afraid to make the difficult decisions. And be wary of leaders within the rank that are afraid of and resistant to change. (They may claim that they are "on-board" but their behavior will demonstrate otherwise.)

529 Other Employee Reviews for Aetna (View Most Recent)

Overall good experience

Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is very focused on maintaining a work life balance. The company policies go above and beyond what you would expect. Policies such as giving employees a $200 wellness reimbursement per year, having semiannual team outings covered by the company, and maintaining a laid back environment are all positive value added policies for the employees. The companies management staff is also generally very laid back and nice.

Cons

Sometimes Aetna can be too laid back. The compensation package is generally less at Aetna than other healthcare insurance providers.

Aetna is taking over Coventry.

Current Employee - Complex Case Manager  in  South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Complex Case Manager in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Aetna full-time for less than a year

Pros

Aetna is a large company which means there are many opportunities. If you like working at home there are many opportunities to do that. My 2nd and 3rd line supervisors both work at home. I am hoping to go home in the next few months.

Cons

Since so many people work at home there are many phone meetings. I think that dilutes the interactions and makes it difficult to really get to know who you are working with. I don't fine staff support to be very high. For example Aetna took away all the amenities in the lunch room and took away our on site tech support person. They lowered our budget for celebrations. This lowers morale and a sense of office community.

On site management is important. Going home is great but staff still need to come into the office periodically for face to face meetings and to stay in touch with the office flow. To that end hotel desks should be set up with schedules for staff to be in the office once a week or twice a month.

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Worked for Aetna? Contribute to the Community!