There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Turning the Titanic

Current Employee - IT Product Manager
Current Employee - IT Product Manager

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Historically Aetna is a financially solid company and generally well respected in the health insurance / payer industry (which, buy it's nature, is viewed by most as a "necessary evil"). Aetna's current leadership, namely Mark Bertolini, understands that we can not rest on our 160 year-old 'laurels". In order to survive in the new world of health care and health insurance we need to evolve. That may mean that the company may look very different in 5-10 years than it does now.

Aetna has become largely a "virtual company" with many people working remotely or from home. This can provide a lot of flexibility and work-life balance.

Cons

There is a good risk that Aetna's sheer mass will prevent it from being agile enough to make the changes necessary to survive. There is also a risk that Aetna may need to get to a point where they need to "jettison" the legacy baggage that is holding it back. That would mean substantial layoffs.

The vision is a good one. Don't be afraid to make the difficult decisions. And be wary of leaders within the rank that are afraid of and resistant to change. (They may claim that they are "on-board" but their behavior will demonstrate otherwise.)

554 Other Employee Reviews for Aetna (View Most Recent)

Great company that any one would be proud to work for!

Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Underwriting Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tons of benefits and a very great work-life balanced job. Work from home is available for those who earn it. Management is very good. Excellent PTO structure and 100% matching 401k up to 6% of salary.

Cons

Difficult to progress in some departments. I found my particular department to be a little top heavy making it difficult for promotion.

fast paced and challenging

Current Employee - QA Project Manager in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - QA Project Manager in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

ample opportunities to work and gain experience, very fast paced, lots of good resources available to employees (internal training, various perks)

Cons

too aggressive with cost cutting initiatives, management not true to values preached, a bit politically charged and vision frequently changes

stay true to values, give more value to leadership (doing the right thing versus doing things right), appreciation should be more sincere

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna