There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Aetna is a fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Blue Bell, PA
Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

My experience at Aetna has been very good. We have great benefits including good health care selections and excellent paid time off. Management is given the tools it needs to make life great for all employees, and they use those tools generously whenever possible. My coworkers and I like each other, management, and our work environment, and we are encouraged to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Management is always trying to make our time in the office better, evidenced by frequent dress-down holidays (not just on Fridays!), departmental social get-togethers (picnic, tailgating party, holiday party), and team outings (bowling, lunch). We function as one big happy family!

Cons

It is difficult to think of a downside because I really do love my job, except maybe the fact that we're distanced from senior management (located in Hartford, CT).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work -- and keep giving the middle managers the tools to make employees happy with their jobs and Aetna in general.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Could be worse.

Current Employee - Analyst in Middletown, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Middletown, CT

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

There seems to be recognition of the need for a life outside work. This varies from department to department, but at least there's some support for it officially. For a big company, things are reasonably functional.

Cons

It's stll a big bureaucratic mess hobbled by incompetent managers promoted because there's no promotion path for competent workers that does not involve management rather than any talent for managing, infighting between departments, overall planning that doesn't overrule the deparmental infighting and incompetent management, topdown management where the bottomline workers are kept in dark and fed manure, and brainless costcutting that leaves inexperienced contract workers under incompetent managers to construct the data systems that are supposed to lead the company into the future. IT is universally regarded as a liability within the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people below you and help them do their jobs. Tell the people below you to listen to the people below them and help them do their jobs. Pass it on.

Great place to start your career, but move on unless you are one of their "blue-eyed boys"

Former Employee - Underwriting Technical Leader in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Technical Leader in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Aetna

Pros

If you are starting out in this field/industry, they offer decent training and a good company name for your resume. They also offer a fully-paid retirement program and contribute to a 401k plan (although those may be phased out by now), a bonus program and a stock option program (for certain levels)

Cons

Unless you are one of the chosen few, you can forget advancement beyond, say, a supervisor or lower level manager position. They have continued to finance their "comeback" on the backs of their employees, e.g., increased the work week from 37.5 hours per week to 40 hours per week with no increase in pay, reduced health benefits and contributions to those plans, reduced retiree benefits, lowered their contributions to the 401k plan, and cut staff with no reduction in workload.

Advice to Management

Promote based on knowledge, expertise, and performance. Politics plays way too big a part into who gets ahead.