There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

Aetna is a fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Blue Bell, PA
Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Consultant in Blue Bell, PA

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

My experience at Aetna has been very good. We have great benefits including good health care selections and excellent paid time off. Management is given the tools it needs to make life great for all employees, and they use those tools generously whenever possible. My coworkers and I like each other, management, and our work environment, and we are encouraged to maintain a healthy work-life balance. Management is always trying to make our time in the office better, evidenced by frequent dress-down holidays (not just on Fridays!), departmental social get-togethers (picnic, tailgating party, holiday party), and team outings (bowling, lunch). We function as one big happy family!

Cons

It is difficult to think of a downside because I really do love my job, except maybe the fact that we're distanced from senior management (located in Hartford, CT).

Keep up the good work -- and keep giving the middle managers the tools to make employees happy with their jobs and Aetna in general.

reviews filtered by

Great place to start your career, but move on unless you are one of their "blue-eyed boys"

Former Employee - Underwriting Technical Leader in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Underwriting Technical Leader in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Aetna

Pros

If you are starting out in this field/industry, they offer decent training and a good company name for your resume. They also offer a fully-paid retirement program and contribute to a 401k plan (although those may be phased out by now), a bonus program and a stock option program (for certain levels)

Cons

Unless you are one of the chosen few, you can forget advancement beyond, say, a supervisor or lower level manager position. They have continued to finance their "comeback" on the backs of their employees, e.g., increased the work week from 37.5 hours per week to 40 hours per week with no increase in pay, reduced health benefits and contributions to those plans, reduced retiree benefits, lowered their contributions to the 401k plan, and cut staff with no reduction in workload.

Promote based on knowledge, expertise, and performance. Politics plays way too big a part into who gets ahead.

2. Aetna cares about you as an employee!

Current Employee - Medical Claim Examiner in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Claim Examiner in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Aetna

Pros

They care about their employees, they have great advancement opportunities, it is a wonderful company to work for. Aetna encourages its employees to excel in areas such Collaboration/Teamwork -Constituent - Focus/Service Excellence -Diversity- Innovation -Leadership and Operational Excellence/Profitability halping you to be all you can be :)

Cons

If you live in Florida chances are you will need to move up to Hartford, CT where its headquarters are located and f you want to be part of Top Management or work directly with the Marketing department this is the city where you will need to work.

Keep up the good work! Thank you for caring! I am truly amazed of the quality of the work force employeed by Aetna. I personally met Ron Williams and I think He will make a great US president someday!

There are newer employer reviews for Aetna