There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

AFLAC Career: Serious Challenging work that rewards those who want to succeed as Entrepreneurs

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Being an Entrepreneur and running your own business with a serious committment to long-term win/win business relationships. Helping both Businesses and Individuals face economic challenges head-on. Paying badly needed cash directly to people after they have suffered a life threatening event such as Cancer, Heart-Attack, or serious Accident. Protecting people's income and helping them pay their mortgage when they are disabled and unable to work at their job. A higher purpose of helping others and caring about others when most people really only care about themselves.

Cons

Accepting the freedom and learning discipline of how to really work for yourself and make an honest living. Most people want an easy job or career with a paycheck, AFLAC only pays you when you actually work, set appointments, run presentations and enroll people in the great products. Being willing to make a serious committment to both yourself and your family that this career is 10-years of serious challenging and difficult work before you can retire and be paid for the rest of your life. Lazy negative people who tried the career for less than 2 years and then quit only to criticize and bad mouth the opportunity and the company instead of assume responsibility for their own failure in sales,

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to always remember what it is like to be in the field working and selling AFLAC everyday. We are a volunteer army and believe in the product and the company so the utmost respect should be reserved for those that are selling AFLAC in the field.

reviews filtered by

Proceed cautiously

Current Employee - Agent in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Agent in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Name recognition. As with almost any sales job, there's no income limit. You decide your own schedule and how hard you want to work. Residual income continues as long as you're licensed and policies stay on the books, and there's a stock bonus after you're first year based on policies that stay on the books. Managers often have sales contests going for cash, mnerchandise or trips. Headquarters also has contests. I have been fortunate enough to win 2 trips to Mexico and to Toronto as well as a few thousand dollars, all from local contests, not HQ contests. Great managers offer great contests. We've had a lot of management changes in the past 3 years and there's definitely a diiferent atmosphere between them. You're able to offer other non-competitive insurance priducts or even have another job and do Afac on the side.

Cons

Cold-calling to businesses, no base salary, benefits, vacation pay, or retirement. Cut-throat competition with your co-workers and managers. Inconsistent income if you're not selling. Headquarters makes a LOT of mistakes and HQ reps are not always knowledgeable to answer an agent's questions. They claim to have an "open door" policy, but if you dare go through that door you may be heading out the back door and let go. If you complain about a manager, they will come down on you hard. If you've never been in sales, it could be tough as there's no base income to survive on. You need to start selling out of the gate, sell and a lot and be consistent to make a decent income of at least in the $20's. Aflac is geared towards signing up companies more so than individuals.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring too many agents as companies get upset at seeing multiple agents stop into their business.

2. The opportunity is there if you're willing to work for it.

Current Employee - Independent Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Independent Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Being an independent agent with Aflac, I can make my own schedule and work when I want to work. I am in control of my own income and time off.

Cons

Misconseptions by business owners about what Aflac really does. Most believe it is just insurance and only suplemental. This simply isn't true. An Aflac agent offers so much more, most of which is free. We keep your company in compliance with the law, set up cafe plans and flex accounts, make sure your employees are taken care of in any situation that may arise.

Advice to Management

?

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac