There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

So Awesome!!

Current Contractor - Sales Associate in Corbin, KY
Current Contractor - Sales Associate in Corbin, KY

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

To be a true business owner... To really help people everyday.

Cons

For me,,, to have to redo goals so often... I am hitting them to fast. :)

Keep doing what your doing... support and coach everyday...

reviews filtered by

It was a great company to learn about sales coming out of college.

Former Employee - Benefits Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Benefits Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It really taught me the major aspects in the sales industry. You work with your network or you network to meet new clients. The products are good and I've seen first hand that a lot of the policy holders love the product. I've learned about building relationships with business owners and present to them.

Cons

Since there is a lot of turnover because there is no base pay, it is 100% commission, a lot of the policy holders do no see their Aflac representative as regularly as they should (yearly, quarterly, bi-yearly, etc). The training is also very short. They throw you out there and feed you to the wolves. You basically have to build your own agency. There are mentors that help you, but you split the commission with them until you can get on your own two feet.

I would not recommend this position to my friends. There are many sales positions where the company vests money in you (base salary).

I would give an allowance to the reps who are first starting until they can go out on their own.

Lots of time, effort, money. Might pay off but definitely have a backup plan.

Former Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Benefits Coordinator in Denver, CO

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, lots of enthusiasm, district coordinators devote lots of time when you first start, lots of training

Cons

They will sell you in your interview. If you're reading this and thinking "whatever, I wouldn't fall for it", trust me, you will by the time training is over. I don't want to sound discouraging because there are lots of people making a living from Aflac. It will take about two years to recover from the initial investment and establish accounts that won't lapse.

If you think you're ready for a challenge or you are a great salesperson, the test will come when you're on your own in the field, in a recession, using your own time, gas, and money. By the way, Aflac doesn't provide leads like they say in the interview. There's an outdated online database that has more wrong addresses than right ones. People are rude and make you feel like garbage. Most will kindly tell you to leave. By the end, I averaged 12 cold calls to an appointment, 10 appointments to a sale. I started at about 80 cold calls to an appointment. I spent easily 3x what I made there trying to get started. So please, please have a backup plan or second job before you do this!

Be honest with people about the investment. I've never been in debt before, but I am now because you exaggerate commissions and how fast you can make money.

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac