Aflac

www.aflac.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

Worst decision career-wise I ever made

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-If you can get on a big account, you will make money, win awards, vacations, etc.
-Learn to take rejection, presentation, negotiating, marketing skills
-Can write off expenses on tax return
-bonuses and vacations if you are a top producer
-flexible schedule
-Made some good friends and connections

Cons

-Spent all my savings trying to build my business because it's 100% commission- and I was #1 in the state, won all the awards before going to sales school, and won the state trip!
-If you have no network, it's impossible to get customers
-Have to buy everything- ducks, licenses, test fees, study materials, gas, etc.
-No benefits at all- they tell you to buy your own insurance policies to make money
-No mentoring or help getting started; training was a joke; you get thrown to the wolves
-Cold calling
-Once sales is on your resume, you only get called for sales jobs when looking for other work
-Really high turnover- I saw at least 100 people come and go in a year
-People stole my accounts when I went on vacation for 2 weeks; my District Sales Manager stole a major account from one of our sales agents. You cannot trust anyone.
-Worked 24/7
-No protection from stalkers or harassment because you're a 1099 and not an employee

Give new agents more help in establishing a business base; give a base salary and benefits. Give incentives for mentoring/helping new agents get started.

806 Other Employee Reviews for Aflac (View Most Recent)

I was told that the zip code I lived in was protected, and it was't.

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company overall seemed ok. (ie., products, promotional materials..) The materials are printed professionally, and are free for the order. The company has the Aflac Cancer Center for Children, which I thought was wonderful.

Cons

The training was so long with way too much crammed information in one sitting. There was not enough one on one role-play to leave training with confidence to go out on your own. My regional manager charged me for rent in his office 50 miles away, when I never set foot in his office. I was on my own for the most part. The warm leads that I did accrue myself, were taken by other agents 50 miles away. My zip code was not protected by cold calls from other areas like I was told it was going to be. After I left, the company billed me (charge-backs) for pretty much everything I had earned while I worked there.

Role-play in training. Pay for at least a week of training (Combined Insurance does). Put more effort into the people that have dedicated their own time, and money to get their insurance license, and have spent their own money on gas, and food to attend your training sessions. Work with who you already have, to help them succeed.

A Great First sales job as long as you don't need $ right away

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom=Self-Employed, Learned Cold calling via phone and going from business to business. Learned Public Speaking. Aflac helps people which is a great feeling.

Cons

Rude HR and other gatekeepers. At least 90% of new agents fail within 6 months for a variety of reasons. It is very hard work. Hard to keep motivated, hard to self regulate and work at least 8 hrs a day prospecting vs organizing your files and chatting with co-workers. Most people just don't have the self-discipline to do this.

Very disappointed at how inflated the projected income you make in the first year is.

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac