Aflac

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

Great Company but Not for Everyone

Former Employee - Sales Representative in La Crosse, WI
Former Employee - Sales Representative in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Aflac (less than an year)

Pros

I thought it was a great company. I thought the training they put you through was fabulous. My classmates were great. I loved the spirit of those who worked for Aflac. Sales seminar is a lot of fun. I believed in the products.

Cons

It is 100% commission. Very tough to sell in the market I was in. I think if you were able to become a part of a sales office early in their establishment or if there was turn over and you could take over some account to get you going and keep stable that would be helpful but that was not the case for me. Plus I was hired on with about 8 other people and we all ended up prospecting and calling on the same companies. Just made it look like the office didn't have much communication.

731 Other Employee Reviews for Aflac (View Most Recent)

Do not work under the AFLAC name

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Marriottsville, MD
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Marriottsville, MD

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get to set your own hours and the people are friendly. They give you some training in products they offer.

Cons

You need to buy insurance that will put you in debt if you do not make any sales. I lost almost $1,000 because my DSC told me to ignore the letters from AFLAC telling me I had to pay. I spent over 6 months at AFLAC and in hindsight it was one of the worst decisions I've ever made working here. Aflac is a scam.

How about offering a base salary plus commission.?

Disappointing, lots of work for no pay.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Seattle, WA

I worked at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only good thing here is the people. Most of them are very nice and are eager to help someone new.

Cons

The job is straight commission which translates ti working for the company for free unless and until you sell something. The sales cycle is very long and requires at least five callbacks to close the deal. Their primary objective is to make as many cold calls as possible, set as many appointments with employers as possible, make presentations to the employer, then the employees. There are no defined territories which means that a quarter to half of the business you cold call have probably been called on by another agent. Also, they stress making appointments, not getting product knowledge. It's difficult to make an appointment with someone without giving them a good reason to meet with you. Also, the training is only as good as your direct superior, and changing to another person is not always possible. if you have at least a year's worth of cash, or someone to support you for a year, give it a try, otherwise, find a company that has enough faith in you to pay you a salary.

Let agents change district manager if they ask. Give product knowledge sooner. Have defined territories.

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac