Live the dream if you're tough enough

Current Employee - Agent  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

You're your own boss, great potential to make money, lots of support from your coordinators, great and inspirational training to get you started (but a lot of this comes down to the particular state operation and region you work out of)

Cons

- Pay is commission only. If you don't close, you don't make money.
- Several people I started with expressed frustration that the costs of starting weren't disclosed from the beginning (Cost to study for insurance licensing exam, cost of exam, cost to get fingerprinted, cost to get licensed, they make you pay $100-200/month to use the office, etc.)
- This is a get-rich-over-the-long-term job. You've gotta realize that it's a lot of hard work and/or limited income in the beginning, but you'll make good money in the long run if you can make it.

Be real about what needs to be done to make money. What we're told makes it seem like it's a lot easier than it actually is. And make sure people know what they're getting themselves into. All you hear up front is the good stuff, and I had to push really hard to learn about the bad parts of the job, and even then I didn't feel like I was fully informed of what was coming.

Other Reviews for Aflac

You can work as hard as you want to, it don't mean you will earn anything.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Associate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Aflac as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Make your own hours, your own schedule, boss. Solid products, plenty of corporate support. Gives you all the tools you need except a base salary.

Cons

Saturated market. Way too many agents have worked our area to death. Everyone already knows what Aflac is and don't want it, don't care. Even worse residing in a financially depressed area. No base salary, you will quickly end up spending your own money for a company that has 700 billion in assets. Prospecting method is outdated and ineffective.

Offer a base salary, new agents need the buffer of still having an income while creating their book of business. Putting the entire financial responsibity on a new agent in a saturated market is unfair. Also have hiring managers stop selling a lifestyle and start actually interviewing people for a job/position. Aflac will take any warm body so higher up reps can earn vacations and bonuses.

Sales Representative

Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent  in  Bayamon, PR
    Former Employee - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Bayamon, PR

I worked at Aflac full-time for less than a year

Pros

Insurance policies are excellent products to be sold

Cons

Management style are more for them that for the company, is like they don't want you to be part of the company, but give them your leads

Don't be so persistent in having the sales representatives give you their sales potential customer

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac.

Worked for Aflac? Contribute to the Community!