Aflac

www.aflac.com
  www.aflac.com
There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

Live the dream if you're tough enough

Current Employee - Agent in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aflac full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You're your own boss, great potential to make money, lots of support from your coordinators, great and inspirational training to get you started (but a lot of this comes down to the particular state operation and region you work out of)

Cons

- Pay is commission only. If you don't close, you don't make money.
- Several people I started with expressed frustration that the costs of starting weren't disclosed from the beginning (Cost to study for insurance licensing exam, cost of exam, cost to get fingerprinted, cost to get licensed, they make you pay $100-200/month to use the office, etc.)
- This is a get-rich-over-the-long-term job. You've gotta realize that it's a lot of hard work and/or limited income in the beginning, but you'll make good money in the long run if you can make it.

Be real about what needs to be done to make money. What we're told makes it seem like it's a lot easier than it actually is. And make sure people know what they're getting themselves into. All you hear up front is the good stuff, and I had to push really hard to learn about the bad parts of the job, and even then I didn't feel like I was fully informed of what was coming.

742 Other Employee Reviews for Aflac (View Most Recent)

Very Ethical Company

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Aflac full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are very honest about what you can expect as a career. What you put into it is what you get. Cold calling is slightly necessary. I personally chose to network and get account that way. Winning trips and awards are so fun and achievable. When interviewing, I would ask how many of their first year associates were able to fast start and hit other first year awards. If they have at least 75%hit those goals then I would sign with them ASAP! It shows they really will support you and make sure you hit your goals and are a success.

Cons

Commission only can be a challenge

Shop around with teams till you find a district and region you really like, trust, and respect.

You can work as hard as you want to, it don't mean you will earn anything.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Make your own hours, your own schedule, boss. Solid products, plenty of corporate support. Gives you all the tools you need except a base salary.

Cons

Saturated market. Way too many agents have worked our area to death. Everyone already knows what Aflac is and don't want it, don't care. Even worse residing in a financially depressed area. No base salary, you will quickly end up spending your own money for a company that has 700 billion in assets. Prospecting method is outdated and ineffective.

Offer a base salary, new agents need the buffer of still having an income while creating their book of business. Putting the entire financial responsibity on a new agent in a saturated market is unfair. Also have hiring managers stop selling a lifestyle and start actually interviewing people for a job/position. Aflac will take any warm body so higher up reps can earn vacations and bonuses.

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac