Aflac

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA

I worked at Aflac

Pros

The company is a great place to work and consistently ranks as such. I was in the Customer Call Center which is one of the worst jobs you can have at the company. To AFLAC's credit however, I don't think any call center is that great. There is an annual Employee Appreciation Week (although since I left it is no longer the same due to the economy). The benefits are good. It was overall a good place to work, although things are not the same because of the economy (from what I've heard from current employees).

Cons

The company is management heavy. There are managers for managers for managers. The call center is not flexible. Sometimes the company is not fair in how it promotes, but that is the same for most places.

Ensure fairness in promotions. With the recent downsizing of the company, many employees were forced to move to the customer call center without being given other options. The process of choosing who would go to the call center seemed arbitrary.

740 Other Employee Reviews for Aflac (View Most Recent)

I like the people and the products...but all is not as it appears.

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Freedom & flexibility to develop your own career. Good products that people can use. Ongoing training sessions (weekly). Great brand recognition. Pays claims quickly.

Cons

Managers do an excellent job selling the virtues of the product and creating the imagery allowing you to picture yourself selling it. However, it would appear that they provide the most optimistic of income projection figures, they actually do print out some stats that look amazing, (I can only speak for NY). If you don't have substantial savings or are the sole income for your family, I would advise against it. If you have support at home, you can certainly try. Turn over is extremely high company wide. Per Aflac's 2010 annual report, approximately 5,500 new hires per quarter, yet employee count has reduced by approximately 2,800 from 2009's figures. What I found alarming was the number of associates or district managers that left after investing 2 - 3 years of their time (I was one).

Reduce the hiring quotas and shift management attention to truly developing respected and trusted sales professionals. Associates are finding themselves at a cross road at the end of two years and not seeing what they anticipated when brought on. Sales training needs consist of more detailed development of the agents, why to do certain things and why not...not just knowing the data in the brochures. It may have been the emphasis in the past, as with any game of "telephone", the message can be lost as it goes down the line.

Hard to make a living

Current Employee - Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Aflac

Pros

Good products and company awareness

Cons

To many agents, they will hire everyone, because the managers have quotas to meet . Probably less than 5 % make it in the business and the ones who do are struggling. NO Benefits and the price of gas makes working at Aflac a little expensive.

Offer benefits and put some focus on your veterans

There are newer employer reviews for Aflac